Echo & Alexa Forums

google is pushing hard

google is pushing hard
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:50:58 pm »
just got back from doing some running around and found several local stores just put in displays for google home.  not one single store had the echo.  Sure is making it convenient to get one.   

malliekm

Re: google is pushing hard
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 01:40:00 am »
What's the price?  I paid $114 for mine last week at Best Buy. 

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 03:05:18 am »
full price - no discount, not even at Walmart. 

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 04:41:33 am »
I gave in and got one (UK). It has a startlingly perky voice and it knows my name, but the web interface is compounded with all my other web activity, you can't feedback via cards as with Echo, and it doesn't have a Fact du Jour. Nor did it have anything like the answer to 'Who is Dr Who?' Alexa managed, but it sings a better song. Lights on the top remind me of iDogs and it still looks like an air freshener. :)

Only had it 2 days so I'll try to come up with a better appraisal when we've got a bit more used to each other. What should I challenge it with - suggestions?

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 04:48:13 am »
I gave in and got one (UK). It has a startlingly perky voice and it knows my name, but the web interface is compounded with all my other web activity, you can't feedback via cards as with Echo, and it doesn't have a Fact du Jour. Nor did it have anything like the answer to 'Who is Dr Who?' Alexa managed, but it sings a better song. Lights on the top remind me of iDogs and it still looks like an air freshener. :)

Only had it 2 days so I'll try to come up with a better appraisal when we've got a bit more used to each other. What should I challenge it with - suggestions?

I might break down and get one when it is able to call phones. 

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 04:29:15 am »
"support for multiple accounts"
https://www.wired.com/2017/04/google-home-multiple-accounts/
Something Echo should catch up with at some point...