Echo & Alexa Forums

Can't get Alexa to play from my music library

Reaston

Can't get Alexa to play from my music library
« on: May 20, 2017, 08:34:50 pm »
I have a bunch of classical music in my Amazon Library, yet when I ask Alexa to play Mozart or Brahms, I hear the same 3 songs, even though I have hundreds of songs form each composer.  It appears that the Echo is taking the songs from Amazon's free music instead of my library.  I've tried saying "Alexa, play Mozart from My Music." and she says, "I can't find songs by Mozart"  Is this maybe a genre artist issue?  I asked for Tchaikovski.  Instead of picking something from my music (like the 99 Most Essential...) it picked something from an album I do not own.

HELP!

Re: Can't get Alexa to play from my music library
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:32:30 pm »
have you signed into your "my music library" in the echo app?

Reaston

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:48:38 pm »
I have the Amazon Alexa App.  From the HOME screen I picked MUSIC, VIDEO & BOOKS from the menu.  Under MUSIC I chose MY MUSIC LIBRARY.  Under my name, ____'s LIBRARY it says APP SUPPORT UNAVAILABLE.  If I back out of that and go into SETTINGS, Under ACCOUNTS and MUSIC & MEDIA I get a list that says...
Amazon Music (with my email under it)
Spotify
Pandora
iHeartRadio
TuneIn

if I click on Amazon Music it just takes me to a page that says "Play and song.  Just ask. Play all the music you love on your Echo with Amazon Music Unlimited."

Under CHOOSE DEFAULT MUSIC SERVICES, Amazon Music is checked.

And that's it.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:50:25 pm by Reaston »

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:19 pm »
wow, you really got something going on.  I get nothing like that. don't think I am going to be able to help.    are you in the US?

Reaston

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 10:11:50 pm »
Yep!

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:44:31 am »
Alexa seems to struggle with classical music. Firstly, she has trouble with some composers' names. Secondly, she won't recognise the name of a whole piece of music such as a symphony, only individual tracks. You need to either say "play album ...", or, better still, set up a playlist for each work, such as "Mozart 41", with all the movements in the right order.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:29:26 pm »
I recommend that you contact Echo Support directly and have them help you.
-Paul.

Dkamp4338

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 02:11:52 am »
On the very top of the screen while your in the Amazon Echo app, it should have your personalized device name with a little down arrow. Click that. It should bring up a pull down list that says your Amazon app and your device. Select your device. Now you should be able to connect to your music apps through your device.

LiveLaughTech

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 06:41:52 am »
I encountered the same issue.
Everything works great at home, but when I added a Dot at school, it gave me that error.
Even when I tried to play things directly from my list on my phone (via the app), nothing.
At my school, the have a filter that blocks most music streaming services. This part of Amazon's service is blocked, but not other things like general questions, Lists, etc.
If you are experiencing this error at home, call your ISP (internet service provider) and ask if it is being blocked. If you live in apartments or condos, they can control bandwidth in this manner, but not if you live in your own home.
If you are getting this error at work, then I would say they are definitely filtering to improve bandwidth for 'actual' work.  :o Although there is much research that people work more efficiently while listening to music.

I hope this helps.

((LLT))  8)

asianrocker

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:34 am »
I think it's coz you specified the wrong folder? Have you tried using whatever you name your library instead of 'my music'?

Like instead of - Alexa, play Mozart from My Music

Try - Alexa, play Mozart from [name of your library]

Or maybe your playlist name if you have it.