Echo & Alexa Forums

google home can make calls

google home can make calls
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:16:09 am »
finally, google home got something to brag about other than answering questions.  You can use it to call landline and mobile phones.   That will leapfrog what the echo is doing.    the only disadvantage is it only supports outgoing calls so you cannot call another google home device. 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/17/15650214/google-home-phone-call-support-announced-io-2017

mike27oct

Re: google home can make calls
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »
Wow, I'm gonna run out and buy a Google Home, ASAP.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »
good for you  :-)

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:04:02 am »

I did! :) 

I get GH and Alexa feeds all during the day.  Google Home is closing in on Alexa.  I
commented on this topic the other day on the Alexa side.  Incoming calls are coming with GH
but they're working on the privacy part.  Amazon didn't do a good job of that when they introduced
the calling feature.  Lots and lots of new features coming for GH. 

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:27:56 am »

I did! :) 

I get GH and Alexa feeds all during the day.  Google Home is closing in on Alexa.  I
commented on this topic the other day on the Alexa side.  Incoming calls are coming with GH
but they're working on the privacy part.  Amazon didn't do a good job of that when they introduced
the calling feature.  Lots and lots of new features coming for GH. 

two big differences

you will be able to make video calls with the echo
you are able to call anyone who has a phone number with gh

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 01:33:35 am »
You can make video calls if you and the person you're calling spend another $200 on another Echo device. 
Honestly, I don't know that I'd ever use either but I'll come a lot closer to using GH than Alexa for this type of calling.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:41:08 am »
You can make video calls if you and the person you're calling spend another $200 on another Echo device. 
Honestly, I don't know that I'd ever use either but I'll come a lot closer to using GH than Alexa for this type of calling.

I tend to agree with you on this.  I already have a google voice number that I use to keep my real phone number from some.  I am hoping that alexa will get the message.  alexa to alexa if great, but, if you fallen and cant get up, GH would be the best.  You would not have to go through someone with an alexa to get help. 

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 02:13:25 am »
I actually DID fall and couldn't get up several days ago.  I used the "Ask My Buddy" skill to call DH for help.  He was outside.  Worked great once I stopped crying and Alexa could understand me  :-[