Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

New Alexa App - Bafflingly Stupid Design Decision

decker12

New Alexa App - Bafflingly Stupid Design Decision
« on: May 13, 2017, 01:47:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am hoping I'm just missing something here with the new Alexa App!

I go to Music, Amazon My Music, and pick a song.

Song starts to play, but it's too loud so I use the lower right Equalizer button to bring up the equivalent of "Now Playing". I change the volume there (pretty dumb place to put it IMO).

Song is over, so I want to play another song. I can't go "back" to the list of my music. I have to go back Home, go back into Music, back into Amazon My Music, and start that process over again.

Is it me or is this a bafflingly stupid design decision? I play a ton of music on my Echo by using my phone as a DJ and it worked fine in the previous app.

Any way to go back to using the old app?

mike27oct

Re: New Alexa App - Bafflingly Stupid Design Decision
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 02:50:29 pm »
Yep, I noticed it this morning when selecting a Tunein station.  Yea, it is a lot less convenient, but they must be running out of logical places after adding more and more functions.  BTW, the "equalizer" icon is not an equalizer; it indicates music is playing -- even if you can't hear it.

If you want it changed back, guess you need to write to Amazon.

Laurel

Re: New Alexa App - Bafflingly Stupid Design Decision
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:26:32 am »
I'm in Canada and have to download the Alexa app via apk.  I used a trusted site and it appears they have the old Alexa apps there so perhaps you could sideload an apk for Alexa?  I use an android phone so it is easy to sideload apks.  https://apkpure.com/amazon-alexa/com.amazon.dee.app

I am also finding the new app a bit tedious compared to the old one. But I am expecting we will be getting another new app because of all the inconvenient things on the new one.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:32:19 am by Laurel »