Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Voice UK

tomolewis

Alexa Voice UK
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
Hello All, I'm a noobie here so hello first of all!

Any idea on when the UK will get voice?

Seems its all over the US atm but my recent app update on my ipad and android havent included voice :(

chitambira

Re: Alexa Voice UK
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:57:28 am »
We nay have to wait a considerable time, remember Google Voice NEVER came to UK! UK and European telecoms industry is a bit of a hard nut. But of-course this is Amazon, I have better faith in them...

StevenR

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 01:27:19 pm »
We nay have to wait a considerable time, remember Google Voice NEVER came to UK! UK and European telecoms industry is a bit of a hard nut. But of-course this is Amazon, I have better faith in them...

I don't see what the telecoms industry has to do with it as Alexa Messaging doesn't allow calls to regular landline phones. The only thing phone related is the linking it to your mobile number, which may need them to be able to send  SMS messages in the UK for verification if that is how it works.

chitambira

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 06:54:20 pm »

I don't see what the telecoms industry has to do with it as Alexa Messaging doesn't allow calls to regular landline phones. The only thing phone related is the linking it to your mobile number, which may need them to be able to send  SMS messages in the UK for verification if that is how it works.

Echo-to-echo calls makes use of QoS mechanism over the internet (which comes via Telecoms companies, who may block or disable certain QoS demands on their networks).
In addition, in an ideal situation, we should be able to make calls to mobiles or landlines using echo, or send text messages. This is happening already in the US. There are even IFTTT recipes that connects Alexa and US phones. That's the capability I was mainly talking about.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:36:56 am »
@tomolewis
If your looking to be able to give voice commands to Alexa over your phone get a Alexa companion app.
"Listens for Alexa" added support for UK and other countries looking for this.
I loaded this the other day and it works fine, it still won't allow Alexa to make calls .
It returns the same message my Dot does when I ask it to make a call.

jnex26

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:12:08 am »

Echo-to-echo calls makes use of QoS mechanism over the internet (which comes via Telecoms companies, who may block or disable certain QoS demands on their networks).
In addition, in an ideal situation, we should be able to make calls to mobiles or landlines using echo, or send text messages. This is happening already in the US. There are even IFTTT recipes that connects Alexa and US phones. That's the capability I was mainly talking about.

Just a heads-up that QoS is nearly always stripped or disobeyed from consumer internet connections.