Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Calling - Can make, but not recieve calls using Alexa app...

alexuh

Howdy.  I was very happy to download the latest Alexa App for my Samsung S7 running Nougat and Nova Launcher desktop to gain the new Echo calling and messaging features.  I can message back and forth between my echos and my Alexa app.  I can call *from* my Alexa app to my echos.  However... I can't receive ("answer")  calls on my Alexa app.  What happens is that when my echo calls my Alexa app, my phone's Alexa app rings and displays the red Decline and green Answer buttons.  Pushing the green Answer button does nothing but turn the button a darker shade of green.  Phone continues ringing until the caller gives up.  I have no idea why this is happening.  I can decline a call with the red Decline button, though.  It's just the green Answer one that's not working.  I've uninstalled the Alexa app and reinstalled it.  Same issue.  Rebooted my phone.  Same issue.  No problem with regular phone answering, just not with the Alexa app.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

jim1590

Re: Alexa Calling - Can make, but not recieve calls using Alexa app...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
Just a thought but is your phone on the same Wi-Fi as the echo?

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:32 pm »
No problem with regular phone answering, just not with the Alexa app.

Does this mean you can use Alexa to talk to a regular phone such as a landline?

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:56:31 pm »
No, this feature is only for calling other Echos/Dots (i.e. registered cell phones).  For example, ask Dot to call phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx (either cell or landline) and it replies it cannot call a phone number.  It can call someone's cell if registered in the app and can be answered via that cell phone or an Echo or Dot.  All was explained well in the latest email about news of Alexa.

alexuh

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »
So, this is on a different wifi.  It works when calling from my home echo to my phone that's on the same wifi *or* if it the phone has wifi turned off (i.e., just LTE).  But, my work echo is on my work wifi, and when that happens, even if my phone is on the same wifi, I get the ringing on my phone, but cannot choose the answer button, only the decline button.

For the person who asked about landline calls, I was not referring to landline, but rather, to calls between echos and phones.

alexuh

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 03:39:02 pm »
And here's the other related thing... sometimes, my phone will not even get the indication it's being called.  For example, today, at work, when I tried calling from my work echo to my phone...  1) With work echo on the same wifi (my office wifi) as my phone, my phone received the ringing indicator (and this time, I was able to answer it!)  2) But, then, I tried again on that same office wifi, but my phone didn't get an indication that it was being called.    3) Changing things up... with work echo on the office wifi, and my phone on the enterprise wifi, my phone received no indicator that a call was placed to it.  4) With phone on LTE, and echo on office wifi,  the same... no incoming call.    At least yesterday, at work, my work echo could call my phone's Alexa app over and over from whatever wifi I was on at work with my phone.  The problem yesterday was that the answer button didn't work.  But, today, it's hit and miss whether my phone receives a call.

Last night at home, I did some testing and experienced the same spottiness... if my echo is on the same home wifi as my phone or if my phone is on LTE, sometimes, calls initiated at the local echo come through (and I could answer them with the answer button when at home), but sometimes, the calls would not reach my phone.  Very confused!

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 03:44:29 pm »
I hope all this isn't half as confusing as it reeds in this thread :o

Yes Mike I'm sure it's all explained in the newsletters but I haven't had time to read them yet.  just trying to grab what I can here and there until company leaves tomorrow ;D

Alexuh, at my age a regular phone is a landline LOL

alexuh

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 05:14:01 pm »
Malliekm, I'm old enough that tin cans and string can be considered a landline!  :-)

malliekm

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »
Malliekm, I'm old enough that tin cans and string can be considered a landline!  :-)

And you win!  ;)

efxonly1

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:05 pm »
alexuh, were you able to figure out your problem?  I've been experiencing the same issue and have not found a solution for it.

Thanks

Boston11

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:57:35 pm »
I have the exact same problem but on an iphone. Did you ever get a resolution?