Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon's Alexa and children

Will

Amazon's Alexa and children
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »
Hello, everyone,

I write for MIT Technology Review, and I'm researching an article about the effect that Alexa (or Google Home ) may have on children and their language and social skills. I have a 11-month-old who already knows Alexa's name, so I'm personally very curious about this.

Judging by the posts here, it seems a lot of kids enjoy using Alexa, and find it very useful. But I wonder if anyone noticed their children behaving in unusual or unexpected ways towards the device? What are the positive and negative effects? Or is it just too early to say?

Feel free to email me directly, if you'd like: will.knight<ATsign>technologyreview.com

Many thanks,
Will.

Re: Amazon's Alexa and children
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:51:58 pm »
I have Grandkids that come around a lot. They love to try and make Alexa work... Seems like they spend more time trying to prove they're smarter than Alexa, when Alexa isn't smart at all... My Aunt's Grandson does the same thing. He spends a lot of time trying to prove he's better at math(which he is way smart for a 9 year old in math)... They don't use it for benefit much at all... it's all party tricks to them at this point. I have one older Grandson (he's almost 19) that *gets it*... and only uses it for the intended uses I have set mine up for. He isn't here enough to know many commands, but can get the playstation or a movie to come on... and FirestickTV as well... He seems a lot less interested in proving he's smarter than the processors... more interested in the usefulness. His sister, who is 13 does have uses for it, but mostly for entertainment and cheating the calculator... Simple math seems to be her favorite app with Alexa.

I have noticed all these things since I bought my first one back in January. Since then I have purchased 3 more and plan on even more to enable room to room usefulness as well. I have one in the living room and one in the bedroom for now... the other 2 were for my Aunt... disability helpers.

Hope that helps...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Will

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:17:19 pm »
I have Grandkids that come around a lot. They love to try and make Alexa work... Seems like they spend more time trying to prove they're smarter than Alexa, when Alexa isn't smart at all... My Aunt's Grandson does the same thing. He spends a lot of time trying to prove he's better at math(which he is way smart for a 9 year old in math)... They don't use it for benefit much at all... it's all party tricks to them at this point. I have one older Grandson (he's almost 19) that *gets it*... and only uses it for the intended uses I have set mine up for. He isn't here enough to know many commands, but can get the playstation or a movie to come on... and FirestickTV as well... He seems a lot less interested in proving he's smarter than the processors... more interested in the usefulness. His sister, who is 13 does have uses for it, but mostly for entertainment and cheating the calculator... Simple math seems to be her favorite app with Alexa.

I have noticed all these things since I bought my first one back in January. Since then I have purchased 3 more and plan on even more to enable room to room usefulness as well. I have one in the living room and one in the bedroom for now... the other 2 were for my Aunt... disability helpers.

Hope that helps...

Very interesting, thanks, Scottrods!

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 12:05:47 am »
My daughter is 35.  She is anti-artificial.intelligence.taking.over.our.lives/total automation.  She does, however, love her iRobot floor sweeper and wet mop (g)   But if she  had time with 2 kids, a thriving cottage industry business and growing her own food, she would be a heck of a couch potato!  My grandbabies are 11 and 8.  Needless to say mom doesn't allow gadgets in the house.  She barely allows kiddos in the house unless she's teaching them real life lessons.  Otherwise they're outside on their 20 acre farm.  When the babies come to MY house, they get to relax, watch some tv, play on the computer and play with Alexa if they want.  The oldest (11) likes to prove he's smarter by seeing if he can trip-up Alexa.  He also whispered to her "you're stupid" (I saw it in the history lol).  He taunts her but he's intrigued.  The 8 year old loves to play games, music and ask questions.  She wants one soooooo bad :(  I haven't noticed any unexpected or unusual behavior towards Alexa.  Nor have I noticed a negative or positive effect.  Mostly the 11 year old ignores it and the 8 year old enjoys it but it doesn't consume her.

I just bought a Google Home two days ago.  They haven't been here yet but I expect the same behavior once the new wears off.  They just aren't your typical kiddos.  They'd rather be outside.  I'm glad!