Echo & Alexa Forums

Ring pro

tilana2

Ring pro
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:03:52 am »
Looking for any feedback on Ring Pro,  been researching for a while and have seen video retrieved from the cloud via a co  worker.  Very close to purchasing, also like possibility of using with echo show.  Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

gbergman

Re: Ring pro
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:02:46 pm »
Have Ring Pro for about 3 months, works great! I had to purchase mounting kit to face the camera towards the door on an angle. Just hooked up Amazon Echo Show. I have SmartThings hub (version 1). I say "Alexa show me front door" and in a few seconds it displays the live video. IFTTT has a recipe to recognize the Ring motion detector but, so far, can't find how to activate Echo video based on that.

celticfan1888

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:40 pm »
have ring pro for 6 months excellent would recommend
works best on 2.4ghz wifi you need good speed for internet
also make sure fuse in house has correct voltage

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:14:13 am »
I had the Ring Doorbell for a couple of weeks and ended up returning it. It has way too many false alerts (especially at night) and several alerts where the only recorded video is the visitor's back as they walked away (usually during the day). I just don't find it to be reliable at all. Plus the fact that I have to pay a fee to review the videos, and there are no options to use my own storage (online or offline) to avoid the fee. I understand that this makes the company residual income, but as a consumer I hate this type of "subscription."

I think Ring should follow Netgear Arlo's approach, where they offer 7 days of free storage. If you want more, then you can pay for it. Netgear offers 365 days of storage if you pay for it. And if you have the newer base station from the Arlo Pro, you can use your own USB storage device for offline storage even when the internet is down. Oh by the way, you can say "Alexa, show me who's at the front door" with the Arlo cameras if you have the Echo Show.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:58:19 pm »
I have considered getting the ring but having to pay extra if you want to actually have a door bell is ridiculous. 

tx50

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 10:10:07 am »
We recently purchased the Ring Pro.  To this point I think it is VERY excellent! 

Regarding false detects, the motion detect software in the Ring app is totally customizable and I was able to remove almost all false triggers except for people pulling into my driveway to turn around and such which is extremely rare.

I've read that some have low quality video but I believe that was dependent upon your wifi strength.  We have probably 50 feet from our wireless router to the door cam and everything is perfect.

The video recording service mentioned is $30/yr which I don't really consider that much.  It is only necessary if you wish to record the video as well.  So, not totally a necessity if you don't mind not having the recording.  Anyway, all that is just my opinion on what I believe is a really good device.