Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Newest Alexa app: features and frustrations

malliekm

Re: Newest Alexa app: features and frustrations
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 10:35:44 pm »
wifi or smart (or some sort of upgrade) circuit breakers...let me tell ya why I asked.  Monday afternoon, all my company was out visiting other family so I decided to take a much needed nap.  Soon as I get settled in, the power goes off, then back on, then off, then on, etc.  Of course every time it happens all the gadgets chirp and beep and say HI (sigh).  I finally decide it's not going to stop so I get up and unplug the fridge (computer is on a big UPS thingy).  It kept on so I called the electric company.  Right after I called, it stopped.  About the time I fall asleep, company comes home.  Then the electric company shows up.  They said some of my (36 year old) fittings were loose inside the box.  My bil is an ex electrician so he goes out to the breaker box with the electric guys.  The main circuit breaker is hot, snapping and making sizzling noises :o  They said the flickering lights had nothing to do with what was going on inside the box :o  That's hard to believe!  BUT the whole chain of events could have saved our house from burning to the ground! Long story short, hubby and bil spent the next two days replacing the box and everything in it.  During dinner that evening, I asked "so what's new in the world of circuit breakers?  Surely there has to be some technological advancements in circuit breakers in 36 years".  They laughed.  Later, I googled it and sure 'nuf, there are or are about to be wifi circuit breakers that can monitor your energy usage and pinpoint where it's coming from.  I was hoping for something a little more exciting.

k9kids

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 07:22:53 am »
Had the same thing happen to a five year old house. Initial installers didn't tighten the main power feed 100%. After a 2:00am emergency repair, $300.00, new cables from outside to the breaker panel all was well.

Breaker panel was extremely hot prior to the fix. Major fire potential.

There are some power monitoring products out there now, but none are perfect.

Sense power monitor:
https://youtu.be/Mvvf-lYHv6Q

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 07:38:11 am »
For Monitoring one item at a time (Since it's a plug in item this is generally pretty simple) The Kill-A-Watt usage monitor is even cheaper... but you do have to do some leg work to monitor everything in the house... or it could be simplified with multiple items plugged in through power strips...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=asc_df_B00009MDBU4980410/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00009MDBU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167125429392&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7411231517580805644&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026811&hvtargid=pla-306572288073
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 03:40:36 pm »
OK, getting back on topic; enough about wifi circuit breakers, Kill-A-Watts etc.

Another new version of Alexa app showed up today on my iPhone and iPad.  Must be some bug fixes, no mention of anything.  iPad app still has no calling feature as phone does.  Anyone have any experiences with these latest apps yet?

mike27oct

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 03:48:34 am »
Another new app update a day later on Sunday.  This sends a big message of "was not ready for prime time", for sure.

Conversations are not duplex like phone calls; we kept covering over one another's words, and finally had to say "over" to end our statements so the other could talk.  Real hokey and inconvenient. I have decided to use feature for "emergency use only".

Also played with "intercom" use of device.  This could be handy when people are far apart in a house, although yelling works almost as well in all but extreme cases.

malliekm

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 04:09:06 am »
I personally think you're a lot better off  using the "Ask My Buddy" skill in an emergency.  WAY too limited with the new calling feature. 

mike27oct

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 04:24:54 am »
I will check it out.