Echo & Alexa Forums

Newest Alexa app: features and frustrations

mike27oct

Newest Alexa app: features and frustrations
« on: May 09, 2017, 04:32:17 pm »
There is a new Alexa app to install, and it has an interesting feature (calling, messages, conversations, etc) but it was not without frustrations.  If you have not installed it yet, be sure to not opt out of any options, or it will not function correctly with the new conversation feature.  I finally had to uninstall the app and go through re-install/setup and not opt out of adding contacts, etc.

Also the main menu has changed; getting back to Home is difficult, and I could not see Now Playing anymore.  This was until I checked TuneIn section of app, and also tapped History there to see previously played stuff.

Overall. app not ready for prime time as past versions of app, and seems a step backwards.  Maybe I just need to re-iearn app, and is something we need to take time for!

Add your first impressions and experiences of new app.

mike27oct

Re: Newest Alexa app: features and frustrations
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 04:40:17 pm »
Oh, and what is with the pulsing new GREEN light ring on Echos and Dots that never goes off???

--- OK, cleared it. Whew. Has to do with messages received.  See this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202136210
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:54:09 pm by mike27oct »

ganeyvim

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »
There is a new Alexa app to install, and it has an interesting feature (calling, messages, conversations, etc) but it was not without frustrations.  If you have not installed it yet, be sure to not opt out of any options, or it will not function correctly with the new conversation feature.e Now Playing anymore.  This was until I checked TuneIn section of app, and also tapped History there to see previously played stuff.

Overall. app not ready for prime time as past versions of app, and seems a step backwards.  Maybe I just need to re-iearn app, and is something we need to take time for!

Add your first impressions and experiences of new app.
Is this an Android or IOS app?

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 05:22:40 pm »
I am referring to the Amazon Alexa app update for Echo alexa devices for install on iOS and Android devices. Only have updated iphone and iPad so far, I will update my Kindle Fire tablet (Android)  later.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 06:10:12 pm »
sounds like things will be getting interesting with the major updates to both the software and hardware.   

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:41:15 pm »
Yep, I found the Home screen; at the bottom of most screens there are three icons.  One is Home. another is a cartoon "bubble"for sending a message, and the third is to indicate music is playing.   

Wife and I think we will hardly ever use the conversation feature -- why?  Because we can text with iMessage to those with iGadgets or text to Android devices.  Seems a mostly useless feature, except if no reply to normal communication, we can send a message to app or home devices to turn light ring green to get attention.

Have you tried new update yet?

Chris

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 03:23:20 am »
Deleted and reinstalled. Will not load!
iPhone and iPad!

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:21 am »
Hmm,  delete Alexa app, reboot i-Thing, reinstall app and hope it works this time.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:19:18 am »
Houston we have a problem!
The new app.
My echo still works but there is no way the app will open.
I had a specific password for the app. When re installing, the app asked for my Amazon account password. This differs from the app pw. Now it won't open the app!

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 04:21:11 am »
Houston we have a problem!
The new app.
My echo still works but there is no way the app will open.
I had a specific password for the app. When re installing, the app asked for my Amazon account password. This differs from the app pw. Now it won't open the app!

try your app password

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 04:24:38 am »
after looking at the new app and the new call feature, imo, it is worthless for my use.  I want to be able to have alexa to call phones that does not have the alexa app.   It is doing what skype did when it was first released back in the early 2000's.   

as far as the app itself.  It is much slower moving between features. 

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 05:10:48 am »
Thought I might have the new app - it has a different look as of yesterday - but it doesn't have the bells and whistles you're describing (or the problems), just a slightly different appearance. I guess we won't get the extras until they can support the Echo Show in the UK, so carry on you guys, get it all straightened out for us before they let it loose over here :)

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 03:53:23 pm »
OK, it appears the iPhone app has the messaging/calling feature, the iPad does not -- even after re-installing app!  WTH!

malliekm

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:54 am »
Oh boy ::) I just probably woke up the whole house.  I've had company for almost a week. Fiddling with the new Alexa app and calling.  All the sudden the kitchen Doy said,  "Monica wants to talk"!  I don't know what I did or if what happened was supposed to happen  ;D

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 04:10:12 am »
Oh boy ::) I just probably woke up the whole house.  I've had company for almost a week. Fiddling with the new Alexa app and calling.  All the sudden the kitchen Doy said,  "Monica wants to talk"!  I don't know what I did or if what happened was supposed to happen  ;D

as long as Monica is not some secret friend nobody is supposed to know about, it will be a good laugh  :-)