Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Call. Today??

kilofox

Re: Alexa Call. Today??
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:44 pm »
OK, I tested this and. . .
 I called myself; told a Dot to call Mike (me)  All dots and echos rang w/green lights a-blazing, all devices were saying "Home", but I could not answer with any device, other than with my iPhone and had a delayed conversation with myself between a Dot and my phone.  So, it works this way.

Huh, how is this better than using a phone to call me instead of calling with an Alexa device?  What's the point?

Hum... I said "Alexa, answer." and the Dot in my kitchen (thats where I walked to) answered the call I initiated from my living room Echo.

mike27oct

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 10:59:07 pm »
Yea, the Alexa email announcment that came to day said to say something like "Alexa, answer the call", so maybe I just didn't say the right words before.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:21 am »
I don't understand why the Echo app/website doesn't allow me to enter information about whose Echo I want to call.

I had that same thought. If you know the 2 people in your life's numbers and emails... you should be able to choose those specifically...

I think the AMAZON folks have found a way to get a huge new database of email and phone numbers to use as they wish... I really don't care much... It's not like privacy on the web is possible any longer... no matter who thinks they're immune. But it kinda sucks to have to give up all your contacts info to get to talk to one frickin' person who has an echo... and requires the handsfree part of the gadget to operate things aside from her Wheel chair/scooter.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 12:31:10 pm »
Good point, Scott. Why they need the entire contact list is ludicrous.

Kjellosan

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 01:16:06 pm »
I have a few units at home and one at the office.

It should be possible to make a call to a specific echo unit by saying call Jo Dow @home  or call Jo Dow @livingroom or call Joe Dow @office

Maybe they will add this later.

Hightech

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 01:23:42 pm »
I have a few units at home and one at the office.

It should be possible to make a call to a specific echo unit by saying call Jo Dow @home  or call Jo Dow @livingroom or call Joe Dow @office

Maybe they will add this later.

All of my units (2 at home...one at my office and one at my wife's office are all on the same user account. We did that so when we added something to the to-do list or grocery list from any of the units it would go to both my wife's phone and to mine.

Using it as an intercom at home works ok.....but would like to be able to "name" my office and her office as distinct units to be able to call them.

malliekm

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »
Sometimes there can be too many ways to do one thing.  It becomes redundant.  If/when someone stumbles across a GOOD/USEFUL/HELPFUL application for this new feature, please let us know.  I suppose if one falls and can't get up and needs help (like what happen to me last Sunday  :-[ ) you could use this new feature to reach help...IF they also had an Echo and set up the new feature.  But I used the "Ask My Buddy" Skill to call my husband's cell phone.  He was outside.

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 08:00:27 pm »
I've fallen, and I can't get up!

Yea, I have decided to use it for emergency use only, and told our first caller of it just a while ago.  Cousin in AZ just tested his setup and called our Alexa toys.  We both agree not to use unless all else fails to work.  I have already had "nightmares" that friends and relatives could really pester us with this feature -- soon as the grandkids learn to use this, watch out!  I'm not telling the littlest ones how to use it.

strayfish

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 05:14:45 am »
For once, I'm delighted to be behind the curve on something, here in the UK!

iolinux333

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 02:24:08 pm »
Well I think the consensus is that this feature so far is crap.

They need to enable a way to let us call regular phones.

Just making the mic available to my cell phone over Bluetooth is enough.

Throw the switch Amazon. Thank you.

mike27oct

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 03:59:49 pm »
They really need to make the feature work as a "real" phone, meaning not like an old walkie talkie with one person speaking at a time.

iolinux333

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 11:29:25 pm »
Well it would work fine as a super high quality speaker phone connected to my iPhone. But the pointy haired idiot manager running the Alexa team said engineering isn't allowed to enable the mic and futuro walkie talkie is the schiznet lol. Same crap was going on with Google Maps and some manager refusing to allow night mode unless running on Android. That manager finally got reassigned and we got night mode two weeks later. Dilbert is a prophet.