Echo & Alexa Forums

Activate detector

btidey

Activate detector
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:53:27 pm »
Although sensitivity and recognition is very good, I find that when I have TV on I have to say commands quite loudly for them to be understood.

As one of my uses is for Alexa to control my IR blaster controlling all my media equipment then this makes it a little awkward.

So my idea was to have the Activation word mute / lower volume whilst the command is being recognised and acted on. Normally I find the pick up of the Activation word is OK even with external noise. It is when other stuff is getting mixed in with the command that is more problematic.

I don't think this is possible with standard skill methods (happy to be corrected) so I made a little activation detector by mounting a light dependent resistor (LDR) onto a bit of the LED ring. Activation turns the LEDs on, LDR is fed into IR blaster and mutes the TV sound, command proceeds without interference, lights turn off and restore the sound. The LDR used (GL5528) goes from > 300K down to about 6K when activated.

I made a little 3D printed bracket to mount the LDR onto Dot http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2305400

Donny Bahama

Re: Activate detector
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 10:52:10 am »
Fantastic idea! What are you using for IR control? (I haven’t found anything acceptable yet.) Also, does your Echo have to be located right next to your blaster? (I.e. there’s a physical connection between your LDR and your blaster?)