Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Is this the new Echo?

k9kids

Is this the new Echo?
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:44:16 pm by k9kids »

mike27oct

Re: Is this the new Echo?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:00:24 pm »
Lots of moola for an added screen.

k9kids

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 03:02:58 pm »
Just my guess on the price, Mike.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 03:15:48 pm »
Price is probably going to be higher than that, in my estimation... however, I'm not convinced that is what it will be like at all... I still have an issue with how their microphone array will work on something that is not at least hexagonal or similar or round in construction (Cylinder has it's advantages)...

If they make one that looks like the image shown... there will be some caveats, I think, as to what it is used for or how it will respond compared to other cylinder Echo products... I don't even understand how that Fashion Camera one is going to have success with the shape, however it is tall and "roundish" I suppose... maybe they have something figured out that I can't see. I have read articles discussing the licensing of Amazon's software and microphone array and filtering to be used on other brand items... Microsoft and oddly enough, Klipsch I believe were the first two I read about applying to be allowed use of it... There's a little speculation on whether it is costly or just going to allow faster proliferation of Amazon's product for now...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:49:50 pm »
looked like something designed by the person who designed the tandy trs80.   I guess they did not want it to fall over when tapping on the screen for whatever. 

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »
looked like something designed by the person who designed the tandy trs80.   
;D ;D ;D ;D

You showing your age renegade & I'm showing mine by just knowing what you are talking about!  :P

k9kids

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 06:30:40 pm »
The "trash" 80 was epic in its day.

iolinux333

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 08:25:26 pm »
Like I said in another thread, I have an old unused Android tablet next to one of my Echos, continuously running the Alexa app. It's not that useful. With the stupid new uncloseable banner at the top, it's even less useful. The promise of Alexa is that maybe she'll evolve to the point where screens will someday be old fashioned, superfluous and unnecessary. But if Amazon wants to put out new stuff, good for them. I wish they'd use some of that engineering talent to have music syncing between Alexa's first though.

iolinux333

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 08:26:23 pm »
The "trash" 80 was epic in its day.

Geez buncha geezers in here lol

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »
There is already a touchscreen Alexa, and it's been around for about a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Nucleus-Anywhere-Intercom-Amazon-Alexa/dp/B019JSE7PC?th=1

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 09:19:48 pm »
We ran across a pristine Trash 80 box years ago when moving.  I saved it to frame it!  Don't know where it is now, so maybe we trashed" it later!

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 04:59:13 am »
There is already a touchscreen Alexa, and it's been around for about a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Nucleus-Anywhere-Intercom-Amazon-Alexa/dp/B019JSE7PC?th=1

Seems to be available in the UK but with no fanfare and no reviews. Looks like I might have to be the first - O the sacrifice!

k9kids

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 05:58:24 am »
LOL, did you notice not once did they ask Alexa to do anything.

strayfish

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 06:10:39 am »
LOL, did you notice not once did they ask Alexa to do anything.

Ha - no! But then I already treat mine like a cat because it responds when it feels like it!