Echo & Alexa Forums

Putting Echos brain into a Bose Wave

Grumpyjarhead

Putting Echos brain into a Bose Wave
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:16:19 pm »
How doable is it to take the brains of the Echo and install them into the case of a Bose Wave or something similar? Basically, I want a better sounding Echo. I'd like to utilize the speakers in a Bose Wave and the cuts from the Echo and create an Echo Wave.

I'm just not sure if the speakers within the Wave can be powered by the circuits in Echo.

mike27oct

Re: Putting Echos brain into a Bose Wave
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 04:13:41 pm »
likely not doable unless you are an audio wiz with electronic repair experience, because I agree, the audio amp of Echo is designed for the Echo speakers and none other.  If you want to hear better sound, and your Bose speaker is a Bluetooth model, then access your prime music via a phone or tablet and send it to speakers via BT.

If the Echo had headphone out jack it would be simple to plug it into speakers.

Grumpyjarhead

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »
Using my phone via Bluetooth to listen to music defeats the entire use of the Echos technology and that's what I want. I just want a better sounding Echo.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »
I gave you an alternative solution; take it or leave it, but don't get sassy about it.  Anyway, there is more to the Echo than other speakers -- what will you do with the 7 mics on top?  If you don't like the situation, why not write to Amazon and ask why they
cheaped-out" on this pricey gadget and not install a headphone jack (or audio out)  on the darn Echo!

Opening up an Echo to make mods will void the warranty, and most of us do not want to do that.

Grumpyjarhead

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:53:20 am »
Whoa whoa whoa, first of all, my comment wasn't sassy. Second, I could care less about voiding the warranty. If I'm asking about taking it apart and modding it then I'm fully aware that it will void the warranty! Smh.

And just to be clear, I have found a few people who have successfully accomplished what I want to do so your "solution" means nothing now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:57:11 am by Grumpyjarhead »

Grumpyjarhead

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 11:24:05 am »
External speakers being used with Echo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=isqIXLZH9Ow

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »
BTW, the audio in an Echo is MONO, and the two speakers in it are not L/R, rather they are for Echo's hi and low frequency speakers.

When and if I want to hear Prime Music in all its glory I simply turn on TV and stereo and play Prime music on a Roku, Fire Stick, etc and play it through stereo. No hacks required.

Anyway, hack away and good luck!

roadbug

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:00 pm »
External speakers being used with Echo.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=isqIXLZH9Ow
I watched this video on my laptop just a few feet from my Echo.  When the video said "Alexa, play The Boys of Summer" my Echo came to life and started playing the same song!  Gotta be careful I guess.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 07:53:34 pm »
That's about as easy as it can get.  Open the bottom, unplug the speaker wires, and solder two new wires to an external RCA plug. 
I would do something differently from that video though. Instead of soldering the new wires to the PC board, I would solder it to the speaker terminals at the other end. This would significantly reduce the risk of messing something up on the PC board side.