Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa "Knight"... This could be a little different...

Alexa "Knight"... This could be a little different...
« on: April 30, 2017, 01:30:22 pm »
Check out this New entry into the Alexa line up... supposed to be introduced next month or so

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4457218/Amazon-Alexa-set-7inch-touchscreen-Knight-upgrade.html
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

iolinux333

Re: Alexa "Knight"... This could be a little different...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:09 am »
I've had an old unused cheap Android tablet, that just runs the Alexa app all the time and nothing else, on a stand next to one of my Echos, for about a year. I guess this new thing would work more or less the same. Amazon has been pushing A LOT of spam in a banner across the top of the Android tablet app though, so I'm liking the setup a LOT LESS lately.

jim1590

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:04:34 pm »
I've had an old unused cheap Android tablet, that just runs the Alexa app all the time and nothing else, on a stand next to one of my Echos, for about a year. I guess this new thing would work more or less the same. Amazon has been pushing A LOT of spam in a banner across the top of the Android tablet app though, so I'm liking the setup a LOT LESS lately.

Could I do something similar with an iPad2? I have one sitting around doing nothing. Its our only iOS device as we prefer Android.

I have seen some things about how Alexa pushes more info to a connected tablet.

coyote

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:10:21 am »
The problem with the "cheap android tablet" approach is it does not hear you with any accuracy unless you are right near it. Contrast with Echo, which hears you two rooms away.

The tablet needs the mic array. And if the screen can be sufficiently guided by voice command, it would be perfect for the kitchen. I skipped on the original Echo, but would get the screen version for my kitchen.

And I eagerly await amazon's own multi-user capability with Echo. I know it's in the works.