Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa and Honeywell Lyric T5 Thermostat

Alexa and Honeywell Lyric T5 Thermostat
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:55:03 pm »
Well... I don't recall many if any conversations about this particular item, so I thought to share it would be good.

I got the Aforementioned Thermostat today, and had it mounted and wired in maybe 20 minutes including finding a small screwdriver to disconnect the old Thermostat... talk about a breezy install. If you follow the directions it's next to impossible to screw this one up too. Gotta have your smart phone to get things working, but it works well and does what it should... which is precious little (Hell, thermostats don't do much anyway... so Alexa doesn't have a slew of commands for this thing...).

The Smart hone app is chock full of options and controls, but the Alexa commands are very limited to:

Alexa, What is the temperature in the house?
Alexa, set thermostat to XX degrees.
Alexa, Raise the thermostat temperature XX degrees.
Alexa, Lower the thermostat Temperature xx degrees.
Alexa, make it cooler inside (at which time she asks What Device you wanted, and you answer with the name of your thermostat), then she obliges... and lowers the temp 2 degrees on the thermostat setting.
Of course the same thing with warmer temp as well...

It WILL NOT:
Change the Heat/cool Mode
Change the control type (Scheduled, non scheduled, overrride)
Change the fan mode

This is probably one of the 3 cheapest wifi enabled Thermostats available... so i didn't expect much, but it's very cool if you don't mind using your smart phone app to do the details... I'm liking it for the 110 bux. It's one of the nicest looking units as well... Almost went with the T6 Professional (white case) but decided to keep costs down and went with what I could get Amazon to ship for free... inside 20 hours actually.

Anyway, This is kind of a review to share. But just wanted to share my experience more than anything. I am slowly getting all the Home automation stuff that I can afford... one day I may even get a garage door opener set-up as well...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Re: Alexa and Honeywell Lyric T5 Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:19:56 pm »
the honeywell I got was even cheaper than yours  :-).  did not want to get anything too expensive and strange looking since I rent and did not want the landlords handymen get confused. 

The command I tend to use all the time is to tell it to set the temperature to whatever.   it is a catch all  :-)    In fact, I am not sure I ever used any of the others other than asking what the inside temperature is. 

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 11:04:46 pm »
Did you already have the "C" wire with your old thermostat?

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:18:03 am »
Did you already have the "C" wire with your old thermostat?

Nope, had to get an adaptor from amazon

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:03:50 am »
Already had a "C" wire with mine too... I wasn't sure until I pulled the old one off, but already had a spare adapter that would supply the needed voltage, so I was prepared.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:57:19 pm »
Already had a "C" wire with mine too... I wasn't sure until I pulled the old one off, but already had a spare adapter that would supply the needed voltage, so I was prepared.

I first tried an adapter that came with an old router and it worked at first, then it became unstable.  I guess it did not have the right volts or amps...

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:17:02 pm »
After some actual looking at the way mine is done... I had exactly the same Transformer that's supplying my "C" voltage... I think it's 28 volts... It's basically the same as a door bell transformer. (Which is what I had for a spare... I've had it for years).
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:22:49 pm »
Wish I could take the cover off of my Honeywell ProVision 8000.  It just isn't coming off easily and I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it.  DH found me, in the middle of the night last night, trying to pull the cover off...he's used to seeing me do strange things in the middle of the night ;)  He tried as well and decided it was too risky.  I certainly don't want to break the thing and be without AC till I could replace it!

k9kids

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:50:47 pm »
Wish I could take the cover off of my Honeywell ProVision 8000.  It just isn't coming off easily and I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it.  DH found me, in the middle of the night last night, trying to pull the cover off...he's used to seeing me do strange things in the middle of the night ;)  He tried as well and decided it was too risky.  I certainly don't want to break the thing and be without AC till I could replace it!

Looks pretty straightforward.

https://youtu.be/phhj5DPK7HY

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 11:26:33 pm »
Yep, I've watched that video and 3 others.  I Know how to do it, it just won't come off as easily as it should and the screen is flickering when I try...so I stopped trying!

k9kids

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:30:03 pm »
It will flicker because you're taking away the power source when you remove the display.

malliekm

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:35:16 pm »
Well, it's still not coming off as easily as I think it should or it does on the videos.  I'm leaving well enough alone for right now :o