Echo & Alexa Forums

Any Thoughts on Smart/wifi Exterior Door Locks?

malliekm

Any Thoughts on Smart/wifi Exterior Door Locks?
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »
I posted this on the Smart Devices forum but I think most people view this forum.

The door we use to exit and enter the house 99% of the time is a set of French doors at the rear of the house.  They aren't as sturdy as the regular (single) front door.  Years of working on them hasn't helped much.  A contractor buddy of my husband's said they never will as solid as a regular door.  This part of the country with our particular soil, extreme droughts and extreme flooding is a problem with foundation heaving and sinking.  I'm guessing that precise stability with the dead bolt is crucial for a smart lock to work.  Or is there wiggle room?  If you have one could  you let us know what kind of door it's on and what, if any, problems you've had with it please.  Also, what brand do you have?
Thanks

Offline kevb

Re: Any Thoughts on Smart/wifi Exterior Door Locks?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:47:15 pm »
See my reply on the other post. Some locks disengage the outer handle when locked rather that physically move the deadbolt.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:21:56 am »
I am not sure about the wifi door lock security yet.  but if I were to get one, it would be the august lock since still uses the original deadbolt.    as a renter, the powers to be frown on replacing locks but enhancing the current one that still uses their key should be okay. 

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:25:23 am »
I too am on the fence with Wi-Fi locks, but do like the idea of not needing a key.
I don't own a keyless deadbolt but have been thinking about adding one for some time.
Mainly for at my cottage where I have forgotten keys for it a few times. ::) :-[

My daughter has a keyless deadbolt on her house and it has come in handy so many times for her.
I believe it is Bluetooth compatible but not Wi-Fi however they don't use that feature.
Keyless locks have been around for several years, automating them about as long starting with Zwave and Bluetooth.
So Wi-Fi isn't much different other then they may be easier to hack(just my opinion)
The deadbolt part would be no different then your regular dead bolt.
If your current deadbolt operates smoothly then you should have no issue if it is hard to turn then installing could be a bit of work.

jim1590

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:05:12 am »
I have 3 entry doors spread throughout my house, 2 french style on opposite sides of a rec room and 1 main door.

I am also interested in the suggestions here but I think I want to approach it a different way, the french style I am fine leaving as is. But the main door, I would like to see a keyed/ numberpad/ alexa lock. Something where I can tell alexa to lock the doors or I can punch in a code (or use the key) for entry. The keypad would need to support different codes and times. For instance, I only want the babysitter to have access during certain times of the day. The inherent tracking to see who comes at what time is also nice.

Sorry of any hijacking of the thread, but an answer for mine may help you out malliekm

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:31:13 pm »
Gosh no you're not hijacking the thread. You're offering important information and insights for me and anyone else that might come across this thread while looking for outdoor smart locks for their home  :D
Thank you!
Do you have bolts on your French doors? Do they lock effortlessly year around?

jim1590

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:13:00 am »
Do you have bolts on your French doors? Do they lock effortlessly year around?

Yes, the french doors have deadbolts. You need to push the door in some to get it to lock smoothly. That may be fixed with some simple tinkering. Also, the locks are brand new.

I just bought the house in April so it remains to be seen how it does.