Echo & Alexa Forums

Drop In Group?

TonyB

Drop In Group?
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:58 am »
Does anyone know if it is possible to group echo devices together so that when I use drop in I can drop into multiple locations at the same time? My sense is that that this isn't available, but eventually probably will be. I love using drop in as an intercom in my house, but it would be nice if I could drop in and call both my kids at once rather than having to make separate drop ins. If anyone knows a way to do this please let me know!

Jeff29

Re: Drop In Group?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:58:17 am »
That sounds suspiciously like "broadcasting" (from telephony).  Not a new concept and something Alexa should easily handle but currently doesn't offer.

I wish there had been more planning around development of this platform.  It is depressing how much in the way of low-hanging-fruit has been overlooked.

Broadcasting to announce dinner or an emergency would be a great addition.

Another simple bit of coding would allow you the Star Trek options:  "Kirk to Nurse Chapel!"
Wondering how this would be simple?  Beta implementation wouldn't even require voice recognition--Alexa would just light up every device repeating the phrase and connect to the device over which Nurse Chapel responds.  BOOM!  You're on the Enterprise.

More realistically it might not actually allow something that simple but you could easily produce this with a minor modification adding the activation word and a verbal command, "Alexa local Kirk to Nurse Chapel!"  That is easy to implement.