Echo & Alexa Forums

Wifi Enabled OUTSIDE Flood lights?

crodley

Wifi Enabled OUTSIDE Flood lights?
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:44 am »
Hi all, do you know of any WIFI enabled outside flood lights that hopefully Echo can control, though even if it can't that would be fine, since it may in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Crodley

monty617

Re: Wifi Enabled OUTSIDE Flood lights?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 11:52:16 am »
There really isn't anything as of now other than a few Wink & Hue bulbs. If you have a little technical/coding knowledge you can setup a Hue Bridge that would allow almost any smart lighting to work directly with the Echo. I've done this and it works brilliantly. Link below to Hue Bridge:

https://github.com/armzilla/amazon-echo-ha-bridge

litfoo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:24 pm »
There really isn't anything as of now other than a few Wink & Hue bulbs. If you have a little technical/coding knowledge you can setup a Hue Bridge that would allow almost any smart lighting to work directly with the Echo. I've done this and it works brilliantly. Link below to Hue Bridge:

https://github.com/armzilla/amazon-echo-ha-bridge

Cheers for this monty - silly question, do I need to purchase a Hue Bridge in order to get this to work?

monty617

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:11:43 am »
Nope, the Hue Bridge is just a piece of java software than runs on a machine on your network and fakes out the Echo into thinking your smart devices are Hue bulbs. You will however need some kind of smart hub like SmartThings/Vera to handle the actual off/on/dim which you will likely already have if you have smart devices currently.

George Jetson

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:49:01 am »
Hi all, do you know of any WIFI enabled outside flood lights that hopefully Echo can control, though even if it can't that would be fine, since it may in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Crodley

Crodley,

You may want to check out WeMo's light switch which works well with the Echo.  http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C030-Belkin/p/P-F7C030/

I have one that controls my outside lights.

crodley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 01:23:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, interesting thoughts!

litfoo

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:52:33 pm »
Nope, the Hue Bridge is just a piece of java software than runs on a machine on your network and fakes out the Echo into thinking your smart devices are Hue bulbs. You will however need some kind of smart hub like SmartThings/Vera to handle the actual off/on/dim which you will likely already have if you have smart devices currently.

Thanks for this - looking to set up the Hue emulator as looking to control my Sonos and Harmony Hub

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:23:39 am »
I am a bit late to help but another option is tcp connected.  They have a wifi flood light that will work with the echo through wink. 

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »
That would also be an awesome set up for Holiday lights, huh?

hualon

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 02:01:22 pm »
Thanks for all of the info in this thread. I have a question along these lines. I have several Hue bulbs and a (1st gen) Hue Bridge in my house. Alexa can control the Hue lights because I discovered them and then assigned them into groups.

I have a "kitchen group, "living room" group, and "house" group. I would like to add an in-wall light switch to one of the groups. Is that possible? Does the Alexa app let you group multiple types of devices into the same group?

E.g. can I have my "house" group include all of the Hue bulbs AND Belkin WeMo switches?

Followup question: if this is possible then can someone recommend an in-wall switch that will let me do this? WeMo seems to work but are there others? I will need three-way compatible switches AND single switches.

Thanks!

bukzin

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 11:06:41 pm »
Thanks for all of the info in this thread. I have a question along these lines. I have several Hue bulbs and a (1st gen) Hue Bridge in my house. Alexa can control the Hue lights because I discovered them and then assigned them into groups.
K
I have a "kitchen group, "living room" group, and "house" group. I would like to add an in-wall light switch to one of the groups. Is that possible? Does the Alexa app let you group multiple types of devices into the same group?

E.g. can I have my "house" group include all of the Hue bulbs AND Belkin WeMo switches?

Followup question: if this is possible then can someone recommend an in-wall switch that will let me do this? WeMo seems to work but are there others? I will need three-way compatible switches AND single switches.

Thanks!

Excellent questions!

Anyone have answers?

vegasguy

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 04:23:03 pm »
In my house I have several Wemo devices. Some are the plug in switches and some are the wall light switches. Echo treats them all the same. I have a group called "house" so that if I say, "Alexa, turn off the house" everything gets turned off. You can mix and match any supported device and group them in the Echo app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aa6rv

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 01:51:29 am »
I just hooked up my first WeMo light switch to my outside flood light.   Now, it's controlled by voice.   Worked in a matter of moments once I configured it.  It's exactly how I wanted it to work.  Garage lights are next.