Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Linking my dot to blue tooth speakers

mike_bike_kite

Linking my dot to blue tooth speakers
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:09:44 am »
I have an echo dot and an LG SH3B sound bar. I want to link the two so whenever I play music it comes out the speakers. Any idea how do I do this? I find the sound bar turns itself off so I get no sound at all. Ideally it would be nice if either the sound bar turns itself on when it gets input or if the dot realises it's not communicating and uses it's own speaker.

Other questions:
1) I quite fancied playing chess against the dot - I figured it might take some time learning to play without a board but I like a challenge. I saw a chess project for the dot but it gave no clue how to install it.

2) is there a way of getting the thing to tell me when the garage door is open?

3) I heard you can get it to control a house thermostat. I have a reasonably modern boiler but no thermostat at present. Is it a plug and play type thing? (I live in the UK)

Thanks.
Mike

k9kids

Re: Linking my dot to blue tooth speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:20:28 am »
Your sound bar has Bluetooth standby feature.

Should start playing when it detects sound. Have you paired your Dot with the Soundbar?

On my Samsung Soundbar, I start playing music on my Dot and then tell it to pair my speaker. Starts playing through the Soundbar.

Bluetooth Stand-by
The sound starts the moment you send audio to it.
The bar sleeps but when audio is sent via Bluetooth the unit wakes and plays.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:47:09 am »

2) is there a way of getting the thing to tell me when the garage door is open?

3) I heard you can get it to control a house thermostat. I have a reasonably modern boiler but no thermostat at present. Is it a plug and play type thing? (I live in the UK)

I understand there is a kit to add to a garage door opener that will not only tell you the status of the door, but has a lot of safety features that keep it from squashing people and things (cars...that kind of stuff)... It's not really cheap... but does exist.

Thermostats are many for the Alexa and other voice controllers... Look up home automation and Thermostat... easy item to find.

Don't know if you have it there... Automatic sprinklers are Controllable with "Smart Home" gadgets as well... one of my goals...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

k9kids

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 02:21:49 pm »
I use the Rainmachine wifi sprinkler controller. Although I have used it with an Echo, it is much easier just using the Rainmachine app.

mike_bike_kite

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:11:51 pm »
The bar sleeps but when audio is sent via Bluetooth the unit wakes and plays.
It turned out that was the issue & I needed to set something so it did that. It seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

I understand there is a kit to add to a garage door opener that will not only tell you the status of the door, but has a lot of safety features that keep it from squashing people and things (cars...that kind of stuff)... It's not really cheap... but does exist.
I was really after cheap :) Every other month I'll accidentally leave the door open (or just press the opener accidentally). I've never had anything taken from the garage but I'd prefer a warning that it's been left open. Maybe a home security open window type detector?

I'll probably try either a thermostat or some coloured LED lights. I can picture the wife's expression as I show off the lighting but she might appreciate a thermostat.

I use the Rainmachine wifi sprinkler controller. Although I have used it with an Echo, it is much easier just using the Rainmachine app.
Luckily here in the UK we don't have to bother too much with artificial sprinklers as nature has that angle pretty well sown up.

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:24 pm »
scottrods, I'd appreciate your lighting (and the thermostat).  My signature should read, "it's all about the lighting" :)  I was looking at wifi thermostats earlier today. 

k9kids, wifi sprinker system...humm.  I already have a remote control for my Hunter system.  I can turn the system on/off from 300 yards away (I've never had to do that tho).  What's really handy is in the spring when I'm checking each station and each sprinkler head in that station, I'm able to turn each station on/off without having to walk back and forth to the control box in the garage.  Besides turning on the system from Hong Kong, what else can it do that my remote can't?

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 11:00:54 am »
Besides turning on the system from Hong Kong, what else can it do that my remote can't?

Installing a motion sensor and set up an activity that kicks the sprinkler on to run off Unwanted dogs and neighbors... ??? I can figure a timer to be set up with that particular activity as well, so you don't just leave it running once it kicks on... say 40 seconds... long enough to "warn" away Cats and dogs that plan on using your yard as a Bathroom.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:06:01 am »
scottrods, I'd appreciate your lighting (and the thermostat).  My signature should read, "it's all about the lighting" :)  I was looking at wifi thermostats earlier today. 

k9kids, wifi sprinker system...humm.  I already have a remote control for my Hunter system.  I can turn the system on/off from 300 yards away (I've never had to do that tho).  What's really handy is in the spring when I'm checking each station and each sprinkler head in that station, I'm able to turn each station on/off without having to walk back and forth to the control box in the garage.  Besides turning on the system from Hong Kong, what else can it do that my remote can't?

The Rainmachine is tied into NOAA weather site. It will monitor weather conditions and adjust your schedule based on forecast. If it is going to rain it will adjust or turn off sprinkler activities. Will provide reports for the amount of water saved.

mike_bike_kite

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 04:01:42 am »
Oddly, I still can't get the echo dot to remember to talk to the speakers. If I leave the thing alone for a while then it forgets about the bluetooth connection and goes back to the internal speaker. The moment I tell it to connect to bluetooth then the speakers start playing but it's a bit annoying. Can I get it to always go via bluetooth unless told otherwise?

k9kids

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 11:25:23 am »
She's not that smart. Need to tell what you want her to do.