Echo & Alexa Forums

Would like to control Alexa from out by the pool

BADsDAD

Would like to control Alexa from out by the pool
« on: March 21, 2017, 09:21:25 pm »
Hi all, we have a dot that I have connected to my receiver in the house which has a zone that powers outdoor speakers. What I'd like to be able to do is speak to Alexa from the backyard pool area to have her play specific songs/artists. Is the add-on remote the only way to do this? I can't see where in the app I can type in direct commands like "Alexa play some Rolling Stones" etc. I can only seem to select playlists and stations.

If the remote is the only way, what is the range given that it will have to go through a brick house exterior? Thanks!

k9kids

Re: Would like to control Alexa from out by the pool
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:25 pm »
The remote connects via Bluetooth. So range is limited.

You could connect your phone or tablet to a Bluetooth speaker and carry the speaker to the pool and see if it keeps working that far.

When I go outside I take my Tap.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:26:40 pm by k9kids »

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:40:31 am »
Not completely sure I understand the issue, but it sounds like you just want to route the audio out to the pool, and have Alexa available there to use the same commands you were already using with, INdoors?

So what I see is the need for a portable device (Tap) to carry to the pool, if your wifi will reach the pool area.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

BADsDAD

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:01:57 am »
Thanks guys,
No, I already have great audio out by the pool via outdoor speakers and Alexa is connected to the stereo receiver indoors that controls the outdoor speakers and it sounds great. I am totally happy with that.

But, let's say I am out by the pool and I want to hear a specific song or artist, how can I do that? In the phone app, there is nowhere that I can find to speak to her through my phone, or to type in the command that i would like to give her. So, I'd like to have something that will extend my being able to speak to her so that I can do so outside by the pool.

k9kids

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:31:14 pm »
I've got a feeling I'll get beat up over this response, but you're looking for a solution.

The Echo remote can only reach so far. So... if your pool is farther than the remote's range, you'll
need to look for other options. In case you have some older technology sitting in a drawer somewhere
you can make your Dot respond from the pool.

The range on the ones I have is up to five miles. I tried it from six blocks away and all was well.
My Dot didn't seem offended having older technology sitting by it and telling it what songs to play.

You can also use a landline phone if the base is near your Dot. Just take the remote outside and use the intercom feature if equipped.

I know, only an old guy would think of these solutions. Hey... It works.  ;D

jim1590

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:21:54 pm »
k9kids, no beating up from me! But this is a good solution.

OP, I just read on lovemyecho.com that the Alexa app will start to integrate the full Alexa voice network into its smartphone app. Now if that will allow the same features such as lights and such is up in the air. But this may build the voice remote function into the Alexa app itself.

BADsDAD

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:54 pm »
LOL, I love the walkie talkie idea! I have a set that I'll try for this.. Great idea! Thank you!

Until the app integrates voice capability, I can try the above, but I am surprised that you can't even type in the commands to her in the app.

The walkie might just be a better idea anyway as my phone isn't waterproof.

Anyone who has tried the remote, does it work from outside with the house closed up? I'd think probably not.

Tom08053

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
I would like to do the same.  I was wondering if a second dot outside might be able to change the music if the indoor dot is connected to the stereo pushing the music to the outside speaker.   The dots should work together right? 

I thought about connecting the other dot to a usb battery.

Jez

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:00:55 am »
The solution I've got is,

Music is played through my normal HiFi system, Amps, TV's etc
I ask Alexa to 'Open my jukebox'
This shows me all tracks of my music collection on any mobile device without installing anything
You select a track by touch and it stacks up ready to play on the home hi fi

I have a large music video collection that I really don't want to upload to anywhere and don't want to use Bluetooth to play it.

If you have any volume then Alexa is going to struggle to hear anyway, but this is still serious home automation just fits the situation a little better .. in my mind.

iolinux333

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 12:39:55 am »
I've got a feeling I'll get beat up over this response, but you're looking for a solution.

The Echo remote can only reach so far. So... if your pool is farther than the remote's range, you'll
need to look for other options. In case you have some older technology sitting in a drawer somewhere
you can make your Dot respond from the pool.

The range on the ones I have is up to five miles. I tried it from six blocks away and all was well.
My Dot didn't seem offended having older technology sitting by it and telling it what songs to play.

You can also use a landline phone if the base is near your Dot. Just take the remote outside and use the intercom feature if equipped.

I know, only an old guy would think of these solutions. Hey... It works.  ;D

OK this is fucking brilliant.

echomike

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 12:42:23 pm »
OK. 1.5 years after the original response was posted, but  I  just found this.

I have never subscribed to a forum before, but had to create an account just to thank k9kids for the walkie talkie idea. I'm still hoping they come up with a weatherproof outdoor system to hook up to my existing outdoor bluetooth speakers by alexa voice command so i can control from speaking on pool deck without walkie talkie, but until then...GREAT F'ING IDEA! k9Kids is living in 2029 while we are all in 2018!

k9kids

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 01:16:26 pm »
Hey, glad it was useful. 

I came back from the future to respond.😂😂😂

DLorenzosEcho

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:21 pm »
This is a GREAT idea. Might have to give this a test! Funny, I had this same problem and was sitting looking out to the back patio/pool area and thinking how I could improve?  I settled on using a 4x channel switcher at the AV Input on receiver inside the house so that I could designate where I wanted the AV sound going.  We spend a lot of time outside out on patio or in pool and now simply hit switch 4 (Patio) and music now pipes outside to outdoor speakers mounted under patio roof lip.  We've used the Alexa voice remote for Amazon TV when I have music playing via Amazon TV.  I know this is kinda off the orig topic but similar dilemma. 

FarmerBob

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 10:22:45 pm »
tl;cgttwt

I have a killer system on my grounds and use my Echo connected via a Bluetooth Transceiver as the interface to connect to the main preamp. Then I use a tablet that has the Alexa app and/or Amazon Music Unlimited (like this one better) on it and it connects to the house WiFi. I tell the app to connect to the Echo as the play through device and as long as I have good WiFi, which I do, I have Alexa and Amazon Music playback from anywhere INCLUDING volume control. OF WHICH I have seen many videos online where the device not controlling the Echo volume is being said to be a bad thing. I don't think so. I set the Echo at a level which usually gives me more over all volume capability than if there was only the one controlling all. Last Summer I noticed that I hadn't use iTunes on the main computer at all. Although I have a lot of great tunes on it, the new ones off of the Echo made me forget them . . .