Echo & Alexa Forums

Is it possible to associate a specific Dot with a specific smart group?

Tetsugaku-San

So you can say "Turn on the lights" in a room to have those lights come on?

mike27oct

You can setup a group in the Alexa app, so yea.  Example:  There are three lamps on two smart plugs in my living room.  I can turn them on from command for each plug, or if I want them all on at once I have a group called living room; the two plugs are in this group.  So, saying turn on living room turns on all 3 lights.  If I had some plugs set up for dining room, I could do the same thing and tell Alexa to turn on dining room.  Command works from all Alexa devices, because telling it turn on living room will not turn on dining room.

Offline kevb

Mike, I think what he wants is if he is talking to the living room dot, and says "turn on the lights", the living room lights will come on. If he is talking to the dining room dot and says "turn on the lights", only the dining room lights come on.There's no easy way to do this. The Dot simply doesn't know where it is located or where lights are located, regardless of what one may have named them.  One way to set up a specific Dot with a specific smart group is to have Dots on different Amazon accounts, and your smart lights on different accounts. Then connect the separate Amazon account with the separate smart light account. This may hamper other Echo activities like music accounts, etc. I've also read of people using several HA bridges to do this. However, it's not a "native" ability for the Echo devices and can get quite convoluted.

mike27oct

Kev,
I am in 100% agreement, and I also knew he was asking the impossible so I avoided that and just told how it is done in the real world.  The way it actually works is a better way, too.  Example: all of us are in bed, and I hear a loud noise in the living room.  I tell the bedroom Dot to turn on the living room as I leave the bedroom and bingo, all those lights are on.  This is better than going downstairs to the living room (in the dark) to say to Echo down there, "turn on the lights" don't ya think?