Echo & Alexa Forums

ICANN hacked

Offline jwlv

ICANN hacked
« on: August 09, 2015, 05:09:58 am »
ICANN was hacked.

Here's the news article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/17/icann_hacked_admin_access_to_zone_files

The weakest link of any system is the human user. It is frightening to know that so many people are easily tricked into clicking a bogus link, giving their info over the phone, and through other scams. Even people in high ranking positions in essential companies are fooled into this. It's quite scary.

I was at the DMV not too long ago, waiting to get my license renewal. While sitting there, I saw a man in street clothes walk in and asked some people if they wanted free cell phone service. You know, the government subsidized one. A lady near me said she wanted one and I overheard part of their conversation. The man pulled out a beat up old notepad and asked her a bunch of personal questions, such as her name, date of birth, address, social security number, mother's maiden name, etc.

Here is a man who walked in to a DMV with no name tag, no company uniform, not even an official looking form to fill out. And some lady gives all her information to him. Even if he had all of these authentic-looking items, you still don't know if he's legit. I mean, you can order a custom name tag from Office Depot for $10. Make your own company shirt for $20 at Vista Print. Create a form on your own computer and printer.

I really don't know what to say about this. I feel sad now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:14:41 am by jwlv »

ScarlettPhoenix

Re: ICANN hacked
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:20 am »
So sad. For how cynical people are reported to be, there are those who are so trusting. I've been getting a slew of calls from hackers who say that they are calling from Microsoft and they have detected a terrible virus on my computer. They want me to go to my computer and give them access so they can 'fix' the problem.  And, people actually believe it.  PT Barnum was right- there's a sucker born every minute.