Echo & Alexa Forums

Official notice for surveys and market research

Offline jwlv

Official notice for surveys and market research
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:35 pm »
This is an official notice for students who want to solicit surveys.
You must include the following information:
- Who are you?
- What university do you attend?
- What class this is for?
- What is the purpose of the survey?
- What is your professor's name?

Without posting this information, your post may be deemed inappropriate and you might even be banned from this forum. Links to unknown domains and websites will be treated as possible scams and phishing attempts.

If you really want to impress this forum, come back after your survey and post your research paper and your findings. This will give you some reputation in case you ever need to do another survey. 

* If you are not a student, but you want to conduct a survey for marketing purposes, make sure that you provide as much information as possible so that the users here can be confident that your survey is indeed legitimate. Otherwise, you should consider a paid focus group.

Re: Official notice for surveys and market research
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 04:44:21 am »
maybe include no shorten urls.  make the full link visible.  I refuse to click on unknown links.

strayfish

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 05:18:52 am »
Well said, both. Any research being conducted by someone at a university should have been subject to an ethics evaluation and recruitment of participants, even by questionnaire, should be included. Hence, students/postgrads/staff researchers should know to present better information here.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 05:29:14 am »
I refuse to do these surveys.  There are better and more valid and better ways to get the info they need other than asking others to do their homework.  They need to dig in and do real research, like read this site, others like it and Amazon comments.  But, asking that is like asking them to really work on this!

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:39:40 am »
Not entirely true, Mike. Good questionnaires (emphasis on 'good' which is why ethics should always have been involved) are structured to avoid bias as far as possible and to eliminate the unconscious bias researchers can have for finding evidence that confirms what they're looking for rather than evidence that contradicts. They're less likely to find stuff they didn't know existed too. But, if the research isn't properly supervised then it's quite possible that it's a lazy way of completing a project and the 'researchers' should have done as you say - some leg-work :)

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 12:47:57 pm »
I've come across probably 50 of these request in all my years of surfing the Internet and never once was I given enough information to make me feel comfortable enough to participate.  And I'd never click on a shortened url!  I hate to be that way if it's legit, just like I hate not to stop for a some poor soul needing a ride, but, you just never know :(  My reply sounds SO simplistic compared to the to the other  ::)

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:50:49 pm »
My helping w/homework, ended eons ago!

mandyshi

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:44:55 pm »
Hi,
Just wonder whether the Alexa Skills data (rating, review, language, description) is open for research purposes?