Echo & Alexa Forums

Don't have Echo yet, but can it do this......?

alot2do

Don't have Echo yet, but can it do this......?
« on: February 14, 2015, 04:51:38 pm »
Is it currently possible to have echo only respond to one person's voice? I'd like to use Echo in a controlled teaching environment.

Also, I have a parrot who will probably quickly learn Alexa's name. That might be funny the first couple of times, but could be a problem. :))

Offline jwlv

Re: Don't have Echo yet, but can it do this......?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »
Echo will respond to anyone's voice, even a parrot's.

Just be sure to turn off voice purchasing in the settings, or else your parrot might start buying things.

alot2do

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 11:42:53 pm »
Yeah, I am sure the bird would love to buy more toys! Good suggestion! ;D

ac7ss

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:51 am »
Press the mute button on the device and use the remote.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 08:32:27 am »
Is it currently possible to have echo only respond to one person's voice? I'd like to use Echo in a controlled teaching environment.

Also, I have a parrot who will probably quickly learn Alexa's name. That might be funny the first couple of times, but could be a problem. :))

I thought of that too but the server at my school won't let me log Alexa on. Gotta love my District...  :)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »
School districts always use a proxy to filter what can come in / go out to the Internet. In my school district, Amazon is not filtered, but other sites such as Youtube, Ebay, Craigslist, Yahoo Mail are filtered.
I don't ever plan on taking my Echo to school, but it should work as long as you use the correct proxy server during setup. Of course, if your school filters Amazon, then there's nothing you can do about it.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 06:58:39 am »
Before I even brought Alexa to school I asked my IT guy (he and I are friends so I would assume he'd give me the correct answer). He said that I wouldn't be able to.  Maybe I'll try in the fall. As a music teacher (and given my extensive collection) it would be far easier to ask her to play a selection rather than crossing my fingers and finding it on YouTube-which doesn't work half of the time.

Update to follow in August... ;)

alot2do

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 01:08:19 am »
I took my Echo to my classroom. I teach middle school Earth Science. It was a big hit with the kids. I had no problem connecting it through my iPad.