Echo & Alexa Forums

The Shopping and To-do list apps need to be re-written.

coyote

The Shopping and To-do list apps need to be re-written.
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:32:31 am »
I acquired the Dart Out Chart skill. It does the following:
"ask Out chart 113"
It replies "triple 20, single 13, double 20. Any additional outs?"

The List apps should do likewise.
"Alexa, add carrots to the shopping list."
"I've added carrots to your shopping list. Any additional items?"

mike27oct

Re: The Shopping and To-do list apps need to be re-written.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »
Suggest this to Amazon.

coyote

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:31:34 pm »
Did already. But perhaps if multiple users start requesting it, they will address it.

If drunken dart players can figure out how to do an interactive app, then so should the geniuses at Amazon....

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 02:14:59 pm »
Asking if there are any additional items would be great!  I will also make the suggestion to Amazon.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:57:51 am »
you can always tell alexa to add eggs, bread, milk... to shopping list in one command.  just have one check box.  if you are like me, when it is sent to email and text message there will be no noticeable difference in the list.

malliekm

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:15:30 pm »
Renegade, I've tried the *name multiple items that all go on one line* trick before and didn't care for it.  Plus Alexa doesn't always list each item using that method.  I'm wondering why you feel the need to copy the list to text or email when it's right there on your phone already.  I used to use a notpad type app for my shopping list but I often (accidentally) deleted items just by handling my phone.  The default shopping list skill has check-boxes that must be checked and then you can delete an item.  And (for me) the format is easy to read.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:47:49 pm »
Monica, I feel the same way as you do and also see no reason to email the shopping and to do lists to myself.  My wife (an IT person) uses phone app at stores when shopping, and she's not complaining about how it works.

StevenR

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:17 pm »
This isn't something I would actually want, as normally I would add things one at a time and having to say "no" every time when Alexa asks if I want to add anything else would just make it take longer to add something. Not that I think the lists are perfect, I just don't think that would necessarily help.
The feature I would like to see would be to have time and location-based reminders associated with items in the to-do list. This wouldn't need push notifications for Alexa or anything like that, it could just be a feature in the Alexa companion app that would remind you about a item in your to-do list at a certain time or when you arrive at a particular location.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 03:16:46 pm »
Renegade, I've tried the *name multiple items that all go on one line* trick before and didn't care for it.  Plus Alexa doesn't always list each item using that method.  I'm wondering why you feel the need to copy the list to text or email when it's right there on your phone already.  I used to use a notpad type app for my shopping list but I often (accidentally) deleted items just by handling my phone.  The default shopping list skill has check-boxes that must be checked and then you can delete an item.  And (for me) the format is easy to read.

actually it is emailed and text to my watch.  this way I do not have to worry about laying down the phone to pickup something forgetting it or get it stolen, or get accidentally knocked from my hand by some jerk who should never have a shopping cart license or by some brat whose parents have no control over them besides, the app does not always work inside the store.

malliekm

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 04:45:43 pm »

actually it is emailed and text to my watch.  this way I do not have to worry about laying down the phone to pickup something forgetting it or get it stolen, or get accidentally knocked from my hand by some jerk who should never have a shopping cart license or by some brat whose parents have no control over them besides, the app does not always work inside the store.

Shopping cart license!?  I don't think I need that in Tx but I'll check with the vehicle registration office LOL  I've never experienced that kind of rude behavior but I have put my phone down and walked away without it :o  I've had someone call it and the other day I turned the corner just in time to see a young lady pick it up and tell her friend she was going to take it to the service desk :)   A short story...last week I put my phone on top of my car's hood.  Got in the car to head off for a Dr's appt an hour away.  2-3 miles down the road my car said "Phone disconnected" What???  That means my phone is not with me in the car!  FREAKED OUT!  DH, the problem solver, said, "Look on Life360 (on his phone) to see where your phone is".  It showed us, within about 25-30 yds, where it was last located...and there it was!  Laying in the middle of the road, totally unscathed.  Thank you SAMSUNG, SPIGEN, LIFE 360 and ZAGG INVISABLE-SHIELD :)

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:04:05 pm »
LOL, totally off topic, but thanks for the good laugh!

Speaking of the smart watch, wife has a Fitbit she wears on wrist all the time.  We were on the way to pick up grandkid, and wife (who was driving) announces that grandson said he was now on the school bus.  I asked how she knew that, and she said I just got a text message on my Fitbit!  I said WHAT; that is as bad as texting-while-driving!   Looking at a smart watch while driving would be the same thing.  Now we have another driving hazard to be concerned about.

I asked my wife to refrain from looking at Fitbit while I am in the car when she is driving!

coyote

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:09 pm »

I moved to Todoist for our household shopping and to-do lists specifically because of the Alexa integration. No emailing; it syncs across all devices and multiple accounts. Tell the Echo "Alexa, put mayo on the shopping list" and within a few seconds mayo appears on my Todoist on all my devices, AND on my wife's Todoist on all her devices. And while shopping you check the items off as you go. If you both have connectivity, the lists update on the fly so you can do half the list while she does the other half. When the items are all checked off, you meet at the register. Makes grocery shopping a 7-minute thing instead of a long ordeal.

Emailing lists is so 2016 :)

malliekm

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 11:06:12 pm »
The default to do list also shows up on my phone and tablet instantly...I do my best to keep DH out of the grocery store!  And I like what I'm using but I'm always open to considering something else.  I looked for Todoist in the Alexa Skills on my computer, the Alexa app on my phone and even asked her to enable the skill.  What's the secret to finding the Todoist skill?

coyote

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:15:49 am »
The default to do list also shows up on my phone and tablet instantly...I do my best to keep DH out of the grocery store!  And I like what I'm using but I'm always open to considering something else.  I looked for Todoist in the Alexa Skills on my computer, the Alexa app on my phone and even asked her to enable the skill.  What's the secret to finding the Todoist skill?
You don't need to find the skill. It's a native integration. Simply go to the 'Lists' Menu in the Settings page in the Alexa app (under 'Accounts'), and tell it to link to Todoist. If you don't already have a Todoist account, you'll have to create one.