Echo & Alexa Forums

Can I get Alexa to play my own music?

mike27oct

Re: Can I get Alexa to play my own music?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:18 pm »
Jez, I just said this was not the sort of info to give Terry; because he sounded like a "newbie" of sort, and suggested a more appropriate place to get geeky and techie.  I think what you have made is cool, though.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:53 pm »
Hi,

Or is the only way via a subscription service like Amazon Prime?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
If you have iTunes installed on your comp, it will do what you want through BT.

meep

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
Hi,

First post, having just received gift of ECHO Dot from one of my sons. Have set it up and Alexa is answering simple questions such as
"What's the weather today?" and "What's the capital of Germany?", etc.

After some very brief googling I fear a disappointing answer, but I'll ask anyway. Can I now move on and get my existing MP3 files played by Alexa at my request? ("Alexa, play Jailhouse Rock by Elvis Presley".) Or is the only way via a subscription service like Amazon Prime?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Hi terry

You might be interested in a skill I'm developing that interfaces Alexa with Squeezebox devices for audio playback.

One of the features I'm working on is allowing the echo itself to play back audio streams from the users local library.

You'd need to add Logitech Media Server (free) somewhere on your system but that could run independently of anything else.

Keep an eye on www.hab-tunes.com for project updates.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:56 pm »
Interesting. 
I have a question about a common situation: 
All my media is on a My Cloud NAS connected to my network.  I can easily play my media on many different devices, except Alexa gadgets.  The only way to do this is to play music on phone using BT and streaming it via BT to Alexa device.  Do you know of any way that we can say, Alexa play music (song, album) from my NAS on Echo?  Are there skills, IFFTs etc that can do this?  Do you want to create a skill like this?  THIS would be a very useful skill.

charker

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 06:01:34 pm »
Google "my media Alexa" you will find a solution to streaming your own music to Echo

https://www.mymediaalexa.com/

malliekm

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 06:54:33 pm »
OK, I'm not an audiophile and I don't know diddly about 90% of everything mentioned here.  Playing music on the AIs has not been high on my list of must haves. So, please explain this to me like I'm 6.  Wait, a 6 year old may know far more than when I was six.  'splain it to me like I'm 4 :)
My PC is BT enabled. 
Sidenote:  Photobucket isn't happy with me embedding MY photos from their website so this won't be as convenient as usual.  Sorry. 
Alexa says "You're connected to Monica PC"
These two screen shots show my BT software has connected to the Alexa Dot
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/Clipboard01_zpsirdpg3bt.jpg
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/monicakm1/Clipboard02_zps51vhcryv.jpg

When I play a song from my PC, the audio comes from the PC speakers :(  What else do I need to do for my Dot to play the music instead of the PC speakers?

Thank!

malliekm

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 06:58:58 pm »
ps...in case it matters, Amazon Alexa on line is showing that Alexa found both my PC bluetooth and my Jambox with Monica PC being connected.

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 08:31:42 pm »
Google "my media Alexa" you will find a solution to streaming your own music to Echo

https://www.mymediaalexa.com/

Are you employed with the company that created this product?  If so, here is a question: Instead of accessing my PC, can I have the media server access my NAS where all my music is stored?

mike27oct

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 08:42:31 pm »
Monica, are you trying the 7-day trial of this app; if so are you stuck somewhere trying to get it to work for you?

Although I have quite a few ways to get "My Music" to the Echos and GH devices, I will likely buy the $5/yr Basic subscription since it has some unique features to work with Alexa, AND to reward these talented geeks for doing something cool with the Echo!  It's about time someone did this.

malliekm

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:33 pm »
No, I'm not stuck in a trial subscription.  I've had this program for years.  It came with the USB BT adpater.  It works with my Jambox, tablet, and our cell phones. 

mike27oct

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:47 pm »
You are talking about the My Media program, right?

malliekm

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 11:48:33 pm »
Remember, I'm 4 years old Mike!  I have no idea what you're talking about..."My Media" program.  I don't have a "My Media" program on my Windows 7 PC.  Did you see the BT screen shots and that I said Alexa announced it's connected to Monica's PC?

mike27oct

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 01:30:37 am »
Sorry, you are not making complete sense to me with this discussion.

malliekm

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 02:10:35 am »
You said "Monica, are you trying the 7-day trial of this app?; if so are you stuck somewhere trying to get it to work for you?"  I don't know what "this app" you're talking about.  It's not making sense to me.
I asked what else do I need to do for the music on my PC to BT to Alexa.  I've got Alexa saying she's connected to Monica's PC.  I've got my PC's BT program showing it's connected to Alexa.  Yet the music from my PC is still playing from the PC, not Alexa.  I don't understand why both devices (my PC and Dot) say they are connected to one another but music is not being played thru Alexa.  If I have to change the default speakers to Alexa, I don't know where.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:12 am »
Some time ago I recall a discussion that the Echo Dot is a BT transmitter, not a receiver. That means it can play audio to a BT speaker. It cannot play audio on its own speaker from another device, such as a phone or PC. For that, you need the full sized Amazon Echo.

Maybe what I am saying above has changed. So I don't know if this applies now. But it would make sense that your PC reports being connected to your Dot via Bluetooth. But it just isn't using the Dot as an audio output device.