Echo & Alexa Forums

2 questions please

shrink13

2 questions please
« on: August 08, 2015, 06:54:07 pm »
I am getting ready to purchase the Echo, but I have two questions.

There has been some discussion that the speakers have been improved since the initial version shipped in Jan (the one that came with the remote). Is this correct?

I only have access to the internet with a mifi jet pack. Can someone please tell me how many gigabytes the Echo uses per day or per month?

Thank you.

Jean D

Re: 2 questions please
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 09:33:15 pm »
I dont believe there's been any hardware changes. Just software updates to change the voice a bit.

I suppose it depends on how many queries you have it do and if you're streaming music. There's no reliable answer to that question.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:23 am »
Jean D- you're right. There haven't been any hardware changes. The Echo is exactly the same today (Outwardly speaking) as she was the day she was shipped. The only changes have been updates to the software. We're on Device software version 2606. Unless someone else has a newer version, that's the latest update release.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:47:09 pm »
People with inadequate internet service (e.g. jet pack) that could also be metered service, and buy an Echo are jumping the gun.  They should beef up their internet first.

Before I tell you how much bandwidth is being used by the Echo when it streams a TuneIn station, are you sitting down?  OK, according to the Traffic Monitor of my router, streaming the station was using around 40 KB/sec continuously until I turned off station stream.  If I did the math correctly, that equates to 144MB used for one hour of streaming.  You can do the math for the number of hours you would stream each day.