Echo & Alexa Forums

Factory reset

Birdygrrl

Factory reset
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:59 pm »
Echo Dot & Smart plug we're down yesterday as communicated by them but in the meantime before I received the email notification I was trying to troubleshoot it and did a factory reset. Now the plug is blinking red & not working. There is next to no information on factory reset except how to do it & there is no option for blinking red. How do I fix my smart plug??!!

mike27oct

Re: Factory reset
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:46:23 am »
My 3 smart plugs got screwed up yesterday, too, due to the TP-Link debacle.

Just so you know, this is NOT a forum for these devices, it is for Echo, and you really should have contacted TP-Link for assist on this.  But, you also have my sympathy on this, because my plugs are hosed as well, and I will need to reset all mine to the factory default condition and set them up again from the beginning.

First of all, you need to understand that setting anything back to the factory defaults, results in the same condition as "new, and out of the box" again.  So,  the option for solid red (meaning no network connection) implies we need to turn on the app now, and go in to Kasa app and set up the reset plug as if it was new.  Follow the first page of the setup guide card. Plug the device into the wall outlet and start the Kasa app.

When you are at the Home menu, tap the big circled + in upper right of screen and select "Add Device" as you originally did.  If you are not sure of the steps, first read the Help section info to refresh your memory. (Help is also found at the Home screen -- tap the 3-bar menu at the upper left of Home screen.)

Once you begin to add the device, first thing will be to connect the device to your network (again) and then the app will take you to the next steps.  I believe you will go through the rest just fine from here, so good luck.