Echo & Alexa Forums

Apple Echo - UK users

litfoo

Apple Echo - UK users
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:22:24 am »
hi all,

I thought I would create this thread for Echo UK users so we can share some experiences.

Set my Echo up last night and have started to play music I have uploaded to my Amazon Library from my personal library

For those that wanted to know, the Amazon Echo Android App (APK) can be found at http://apkbeast.com/ or www.apkmirror.com

You can put the APK through https://www.virustotal.com for piece of mind.

would be good to hear from fellow Echo users in the UK

litfoo

harryfulton

Re: Apple Echo - UK users
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
Hello,

I am also an Echo user in the UK. I use the Echo to control wemo devices, play music and set timers. It is very good.

On the downside I do not like the lack of non-US support. I cannot localise it to my region here in the UK - like I can my smartphone. Also, because of this, it gives out all the wrong times for my google calendar - rendering that feature a bit useless.

I read somewhere that Amazon has no intention at all of offering non-US support - which is a big shame.

Harry

autocrat

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:46:40 am »
Many thanks to litfoo (there has to be a story behind that ID!) for the link to the apk app download. I'm in Cape Town, and I couldn't find a way to circumvent the Play app store block.

goblinant

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 05:18:52 am »
Hi @Litfoo,

How did you get it to play your music library?  Mine does not seem to recognise my amazon uploaded music.  I had assumed that this was because I have an amazon UK account?

Thanks,

Antony

Maff

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:07:22 pm »
I'm also in the UK. I'd love to know how you got the music library to work. I've spent time in the phone with Echo support, and it seems the only way you can do it is migrate your music to the US Amazon music storage. However for them to allow you to do this will require a US bank account and a US contact address. So I've hit a dead end.

Really hopeful they will actually launch it in the UK at some point, maybe then they will change the app to allow a non US home address so you can use the proper time/weather/news.

I have discovered the most recent app does allow a UK start and end point to the traffic updates so that now works.

litfoo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:32:48 pm »
@ goblinant @ Maff

I think I must have taken it for granted but I have both a US & UK Amazon account.

So I guess my music must be uploading to the US Amazon Prime Music Library

Have you tried importing music using http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379250 and signing in with your UK Amazon account?

@ Maff - agree, can't wait for the ability to set a different home address or at least be able to set a time offset or similar.

Really like using the Google Calendar feature but frusrating when the times come back correctly - only current works ok for 'All Day' events which do not reference the exact time.

goblinant

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:36:43 am »
Thanks @litfoo,

Yes,  this is what I have done and it doesn't work :(

I thought it must be because you have a US account.

Thanks for the update anyway, confirms that i wasn't missing something.

Antony

unstableair

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 09:52:40 am »
Hi Folks,

Currently waiting for my Echo to arrive from the US and was wondering if anyone in the UK had tried using the ZIP code for one of the US Airforce bases here in the UK. For example if I enter 09464 into Google maps it correctly identifies it at the ZIP code for RAF Lanenheath in Suffolk UK where the USAF 48th Fighter Wing are based. This should give the correct time.

Dave

Offline jwlv

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:47 am »
That sounds like a great work-around!

I just tried it and I asked "Alexa, what time is it?" and she reports that it is not a valid Zip code. :(

unstableair

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:28 am »
Thanks for trying  :(
I'll raise a case with amazon support once I have the unit.

litfoo

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 03:48:07 pm »
@ unstableair - great thinking, but I tried too and got the same result.

I will raise with Amazon Support too.

Update: Got a very speedy reply from Amazon Echo Suppport:

"Thank you so much for your feedback to add ZIP codes outside the US to the Echo.  This sounds like a fantastic suggestion!  I too would like to see this added.  Hopefully they implement this sooner than later.

I have specifically passed this suggestion along to our development team for the Amazon Echo, as your comments and suggestions will help us improve the Amazon Echo and offer better service to our customers."

Fingers crossed it will be added  :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:21:41 am by litfoo »

mark133

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:55 pm »
Mine arrived today and Pandora seems to be working, was under the impression it wasn't going to work

litfoo

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »
Mine arrived today and Pandora seems to be working, was under the impression it wasn't going to work

Good news - How are you liking the Echo?

So how did you manage to sign up for a Pandora account, being based in UK? Do you set one up when you were in the US or something?

mark133

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 03:42:10 pm »
Easy down load a browser called "Tor" just use this to sign up and add stations etc.

mark133

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:54 pm »
Also iheart radio works