Echo & Alexa Forums

Physically securing a Amazon Echo

Bri

Physically securing a Amazon Echo
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »
I'm attempting to secure an echo so that it can't 'walk away' readily.  The environment is a nursing home.  My dad loves his echo, but he has had to be moved into a nursing home and I'm concerned that it will 'walk away'.  I've researched various tie-down systems, but they all require a flat surface to attach the security device.  I've looked at wall brackets, but none secure the device.  I can't seem to find anything that would help stop it from being stolen.

Any ideas on how to secure the Amazon Echo?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:36:03 pm by Bri »

strayfish

Re: Physically securing a Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 06:37:18 pm »
I hope you find a way to nail it down, my parents had a similar problem at their care home with a resident who often 'wandered' other people's belongings into his own room. In the meantime, I wonder if the staff know that, as it's registered to you (or your dad), it can't be registered to anyone else, and anything that's said directly to it turns up on the app. That may act as a deterrent while you figure out a more physical solution.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:15:59 pm »
Is there video security inside your father's room?

has

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31:16 pm »
You (or an expert) could custom build a cage for the device (CNC or cut and weld or even 3d print). could cost more than the device tho. jst trying to help.

Southern Dad

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:23:21 pm »
They make a security cable that attaches to a very strong sticker.  This isn't going to stop the dedicated thief just the person looking to walk off with something not tied down.

thegodsonuk

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:45:58 am »
Hi Guys

Although not a physical tie down, there are some Magnetic Fasteners designed to mount a smoke detector to the ceiling. These have a steel plate and a set of magnets which are stuck to the surface and say the echo. The magnets are powerful (over 1kg pull = 2.2. lbs) so make it hard but not impossible to move / remove the echo.

I found these in Lidl (UK) for under £1 (GBP) about 80 cents US but theer are always some on Amazon (UK and US)

Hope that helps

Jeff29

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 09:00:18 pm »
Hi Guys

Although not a physical tie down, there are some Magnetic Fasteners designed to mount a smoke detector to the ceiling. These have a steel plate and a set of magnets which are stuck to the surface and say the echo. The magnets are powerful (over 1kg pull = 2.2. lbs) so make it hard but not impossible to move / remove the echo.

I found these in Lidl (UK) for under £1 (GBP) about 80 cents US but theer are always some on Amazon (UK and US)

Hope that helps

Just a quick point of information regarding this:  I haven't taken any device apart to verify and the specs aren't posted but I will bet the drivers are magnetic (meaning a very strong magnet might cause a change in quality or distort audio to the point it's indecipherable).

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/the-effects-of-magnets-on-speakers

redtib

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:37:10 pm »
Also, you could mount your echo on the ceiling. I hung mine under a home theatre projector in the middle of the room and it works nicely. Would be good if the ceilings are high enough to be out of reach.

dragon123

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 11:32:39 am »
I'm attempting to secure an echo so that it can't 'walk away' readily.  The environment is a nursing home.  My dad loves his echo, but he has had to be moved into a nursing home and I'm concerned that it will 'walk away'.  I've researched various tie-down systems, but they all require a flat surface to attach the security device.  I've looked at wall brackets, but none secure the device.  I can't seem to find anything that would help stop it from being stolen.

Any ideas on how to secure the Amazon Echo?

Use sugru and stick it to the ceiling?

That way it will release if you want it to, but it'll take some effort to get to.

wombat66

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 09:36:53 pm »
Here's a lock bracket for the Echo. Not sure if this will work with an Echo 2.
https://www.maclocks.com/amazon-echo-lock-bracket.html

It likes like it will work with any standard Kensington lock cable.  You can then loop the cable around a bed frame or appropriate table leg.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:41:18 pm by wombat66 »

jimsparky

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 06:58:33 am »
Saw this on YouTube,seemed a good idea for securing any devices to walls or ceilings
https://youtu.be/Xa8IrMWXtYc

The relevant part starts at 1 min 45 seconds in.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:02:18 am by jimsparky »

AlwaysBlue

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 02:31:36 am »
they have wall mounting kits on ebay for under 20$ which seem to have a ton of good reviews