Echo & Alexa Forums

issues with connecting to superhub 2

Drewster

issues with connecting to superhub 2
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:26:46 am »
Hi all,

Was hoping to get a bit of technical help, I recently purchased an echo dot and got it all setup and connected to my WiFi, the problem I have encountered is that the Dot never stays connected for more than a couple of minutes, connection drops out and then it reconnects a while later, then the process starts again.

So far I have spent a couple of hours on the phone to the technical help people at Amazon, who have been absolutely amazing. I am expecting another call on Saturday to see if the advise they have given me to resolve with my internet provider has worked. Thing is, I need some help to get this done before the call on Saturday as I don't want it to be a wasted one.

I need to ensure some ports on my Virgin superhub 2 are open, but to do this, I need to assign actions to a specific IP address, this means I need to assign a static IP address to the echo Dot. I have found where I can do this in the advanced settings when you connect the device to the WiFi, but there are a load of boxes to fill in that I have no idea what to put into them. Can anyone help with what I am supposed to put in the other boxes other than the IP address?

Re: issues with connecting to superhub 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:39:50 am »
Without knowing what the other boxes are your limiting possible help to those that have the same router.
A screen shot would be most helpful. ;)

Drewster

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »

Hope that works, if not its the advanced setting in the alexa app, the boxes that nee populating are ip address, router, subnet mask, dns 1 and dns 2

billbudd

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:35:31 am »
Interesting.  Not sure if this helps but I had huge problems with the Virgin Media Super Hub 2.  I bought a new MAC Book Pro, and the connection to the Superhub would drop intermittently and regularly.  Spent hours on the phone to Virgin, hours on the phone to Apple, never managed to find the issue.  In the end I bought a TP-Link router and put the Superhub into modem mode.

Doesn't help with your issue but I suspect there is a basic problem with the Superhub.

Regards,

Bill

spikeuk

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:50:01 am »
I had same problem with SH 2 - had to continually re - start hub for the Dot to work.

ALL SOLVED!!!! -- bought new router and attached in modem mode to SH - far superior to the rubbish standard hub.

NO hassle and no re starts now - good luck - save the stress and get new router