Echo & Alexa Forums

Bluetooth

Steq184

Bluetooth
« on: March 02, 2017, 02:18:18 pm »
My problem is related to Bluetooth.
The story so far:
If I connect my iPhone to speaker in kitchen it plays music fine.
If I connect my iPhone to speaker in living room it plays music fine.
If I connect echo dot to speaker in kitchen it plays music fine.
But if I connect echo dot to speaker in living room it plays music in a stutter.
The living room is where I want to play music on but don't know why it playing up.
Any ideas?

mike27oct

Re: Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:28:39 pm »
>>>  But if I connect echo dot to speaker in living room it plays music in a stutter.

Simple, your Dot and speaker are too far apart.  Devices that are more than 20-30 feet apart is beyond the maximum range of BT, and if too far apart, the BT signal is too weak and cuts in and out, thus causing stuttering.  Get devices close enough to one another to prevent this problem.

Steq184

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »
I put the dot within 2 feet of each speaker when I was testing them.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:56:39 pm »
Maybe to close, and your getting some resistance ???

@ mike27oct actually the range is based on the class of the Bluetooth devices.
See: http://bluetoothinsight.blogspot.ca/2008/01/bluetooth-power-classes.html
I have a class 1 dongle and easily get 90 feet I'm not sure what class is in the Alexa devices.
However using my class 1 dongle on my PC I get over 30 feet to the dot if I use a class 2 dongle I barely get 20 feet.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 06:56:39 pm »
>>>  I put the dot within 2 feet of each speaker when I was testing them.

Actually, 2 feet is not too close; I am often that close when pairing them or reconnecting them, but that obviously is not the problem.  The other problem could be  that your Dot is too far from the router and you are getting a weak wi-fi signal.  How does the Dot work when playing music  its speaker; does it ever stutter or cut out?