Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot Speaker Issue

allez

Echo Dot Speaker Issue
« on: February 27, 2017, 03:57:11 am »
Hi all

I have a issue I have been trying to solve. Ideally I want to find a real nice simple solution.

I have an old Sony HD tv which I connect up to a B&W Zeppelin via an rca cable (not Bluetooth). I have recently got the echo dot and love it. However I ideally want to plug it into my zeppelin at the same time so two inputs into one output.

So if I was watching tv and asked Alexa a question it would lower or pause the tv volume whilst Alexa speaks.

Does anything exist? Help

Thanks.

mike27oct

Re: Echo Dot Speaker Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:49:34 pm »
This cannot happen unless the Dot can hear you over the music.  I have a Dot plugged into one stereo input, and I have a TV's sound plugged into a different stereo input.  You don't somehow combine both into same input.  This is why there are mutiple inputs to an amp.

allez

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:53:14 am »
Thanks for the reply. Is there a small mixer that would solve this?

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 01:22:31 pm »
You cannot mix two audio signals in same input, you need separate audio inputs for each.  If you do not have enough audio inputs on amp, then you have to use an audio switch box.  That is what I do.

StevenR

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 03:50:31 pm »
Something like you are looking for would probably be possible if your TV supported Bluetooth. While I was experimenting with what was possible, I connected my TV to my Echo Dot using Bluetooth and found that the volume from the TV was turned down when I said "Alexa". You would basically have your TV connected to the Echo Dot via Bluetooth and the Echo Dot connected via a cable to the speaker.
However, this wouldn't be possible if the TV doesn't support Bluetooth (although you can buy Bluetooth transmitters which allow you to add Bluetooth support to things like televisions which don't support it) and it is probably a bit fiddly to use every day (you would sometimes need to say "Alexa, connect my phone" to get it to reconnect to the television).

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 03:59:25 pm »
The TV would require a BT receiver, not a transmitter.

allez

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:30:30 am »
I like the idea of the audio switcher, as that would solve the problem.

But the only issue is to use the echo you would need to remember to switch over. Is there not something with that principle but detects the changes to control the current signal?

Would something like the Logitech Harmony hub work?

StevenR

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 07:28:05 am »
The TV would require a BT receiver, not a transmitter.

Surely a BT receiver would get sound from the Each Dot to play on the TV. A transmitter would get sound from the TV to play on the Echo Dot or the speaker connected to it, which is what I was describing.

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 02:38:16 pm »
One could have both a TX and RX connected to TV if BT (vs. analog audio) is what one wants.
I prefer analog audio out of TV into stereo amp, because TV audio is from many source gadgets. Audio out of Dot goes into amp as well, into a separate amp input.  No BT for me when audio out is a choice.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:45:52 pm by mike27oct »