Echo & Alexa Forums

Just bought the Amazon Echo Dot - Need HELP Please.

al96

Just bought the Amazon Echo Dot - Need HELP Please.
« on: February 24, 2017, 04:30:47 pm »
Hello, i just got the Amazon Echo Dot and i've been trying to set it up for over 4 hours now.
I get to the stage where i have to connect it to my WiFi (i am able to connect to the Amazon XXX WiFi, that's not the problem, but after that when its telling me to go back to the App and connect the Dot to my actual WiFi, there's the problem) my WiFi is 2,4 GHz and it just will not connect. It get's stuck at connecting and then says Can not connect to WiFi. However, when i switch my Router to 5 GHz it connects within seconds and there are no problems whatsoever. The problem is: I have some devices that just can't connect to 5 GHz Wifi. I need to stay on the 2.4 GHz WiFi, so after i successfully managed to set up my Echo Dot on the 5 GHz WiFi i switched my Router back to 2.4 GHz and tried connecting my Dot to that 2.4 GHz : Again, it wouldn't work. ALL of my other devices work on the 2.4 GHz WiFi. All of them. Besides the Echo Dot. What can i do? Do i really have to buy one of those Dual Band Routers because the Echo Dot just won't connect to my WiFi on the 2.4 GHz Band? :( Please Help me. This is so frustrating.

Re: Just bought the Amazon Echo Dot - Need HELP Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »
you should be able to use both 5 and  2.4 for different devices at the same time.  what is the full model number of the router?

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:37 pm »
DOT 2nd Generation Tech Support

OR

Call DOT tech support 1- 877-375-9365

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:32:30 pm »
To OP:

You already have a dual band router or you would not have both 2.4G an 5G bands.  I am surprised you could get on 5G but not 2.4G.

Before you try to get on the 2.4G again, you need to unplug the Dot for 5 minutes or a little longer.  Then, plug it back in and instead of following the instructions from scratch (and since you are on 5G you say) go into the Alexa app, Settings and find your Dot. Go into that area and notice it shows "Update Wi-Fi".  It should also show which wi-fi signal you are on, if (as you say you are on 5G} it will indicate that.  If it says you are on 2.4G then that is what you want so do nothing except Cancel. 

If it says you are on 5G and you want to be on 2.4G, then tap the arrow on the right and follow the on screen directions to change connection to 2.4G.

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:29:24 am »
U shd check your router settings. Echo dot is able to connect to either 2.4 or 5ghz band but will only work on wireless N not AC.

Your router shd be dual band on separate SSIDs. As what others have asked, you shd specify what router u are using
Echo Dot @ SG