Echo & Alexa Forums

Wifi Extenders for Better Dot Signal Strength

malliekm

Wifi Extenders for Better Dot Signal Strength
« on: February 19, 2017, 03:29:50 am »
I'm pumped!  Mike has been working with me on my two furthest Dots.  They are on the other end of the house from the router.  Can't change the location of anything.  I was going to email him via PM but thought there might be others here that could use the information.  Using Wifi Analyzer, I found that the two Dots on the other end of the house had a signal strength of roughly -65dBs.  Lag in replies and Skills that would drop were problematic.  I bought a NetGear AC1200 dual band extender.  $87 on Amazon but I got it for $60 on ebay (top rated seller with returns accepted and free shipping).The dual band is simultaneous (meaning you don't have to choose which band, 2.4 or 5GHz, you want it to broadcast).  There is a light on the extender that lets you know if you've placed it in a good location in relation to your router and the devices you need increased signal strength.  When I put it where I had planned, the indicator was green (vs amber or red).  Great, I was ready to test the Dots!  Changed them to the new ext band and NO improvement  >:( :( :o  Why me!?  It was a centrally located spot that I thought would be perfect.  So I moved it about 7 feet into my bedroom.  Hadn't really considered that until now.  Signal strength needle flew all the way to the right when I placed it next to both dots!  ;D
I haven't tested the Dots yet for speedier requests but I did test the TP-Link wifi mini plug and my lamp was faster to come on and turn off via Alexa.  I'm a happy camper :)

BEFORE

AFTER

mike27oct

Re: Wifi Extenders for Better Dot Signal Strength
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:42:34 am »
Monica,
Results are great. I presume the Dots will react faster now, too.  I hope your 5G is as improved as well, it will make tablet video better.  Keep up the great fine tuning.  The range extender you found is a winner.

malliekm

Re: Wifi Extenders for Better Dot Signal Strength
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:49:02 am »
Monica,
Results are great. I presume the Dots will react faster now, too.  I hope your 5G is as improved as well, it will make tablet video better.  Keep up the great fine tuning.  The range extender you found is a winner.

Thanks Mike and thank you for your guidance!