Echo & Alexa Forums

Using the Echo or Tap as a Bluetooth Speaker.....from a dot?

James

Using the Echo or Tap as a Bluetooth Speaker.....from a dot?
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:35:06 pm »
Is it possible to pair a dot to a tap or echo?

My goal is be able to give commands to a dot in the kitchen and have the response come from the echo in the living room that is connected to my home's sound system.

We have a tap in the master bedroom and a dot in the master bath. They work beautifully. The response comes from which ever is closest, and best of all you can use a normal speaking voice to activate Alexa. However....in our great room which includes the kitchen/living area we have a dot and we have to raise our voice if there is any background noise at all, and there usually is. The dot is connected to our speaker system with a 3.5 mm cable (Bluetooth was spotty and would cut in and out). I would love to have a second dot in the great room that functions as a microphone or extender for the primary dot (that is connected to the sound system).

Until Amazon creates a software update that allows a dot to act as a satellite for another echo device, I was wondering if I could achieve the same result by bluetoothing a dot to an echo or a tap. Is this possible?

For example. My primary device could be a Tap in the living area that is connected to my stereo, then have a dot in the kitchen area that bluetooths to the Tap. When I issue a command the closest device processes it, but the response comes out of my stereo. Possible?

mike27oct

Re: Using the Echo or Tap as a Bluetooth Speaker.....from a dot?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:15 pm »
Yes, you probably can, so why don't you try it?  I question using a Tap to feed a stereo, though. A Tap has an audio input, but not an output.  A Dot audio out is plugged directly to my stereo.

James

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:05:29 pm »
I would prefer to use a dot and Bluetooth it to the dot that is connected to my stereo, but I can't figure out how to Bluetooth a dot to another  dot. Is that possible? I thought only the Tap or the fullsized Echo functioned as Bluetooth receivers.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »
Up until recently, the Dot was the only device that is a BT receiver and transmitter.  Echo can now be both as well.  I am not sure if the Tap is both now.

nord.nord@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:36:51 pm »
How do you get a Tap to act as a bluetooth speaker for a dot? I tried a couple of commands and failed.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:52 pm »
Did you pair them?
But, really why would you do this?  The Dot can play same thing.