Echo & Alexa Forums

Using Echo or Dot to Control Lights

mike27oct

Re: Using Echo or Dot to Control Lights
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 03:08:50 pm »
Yes, thanks for tip, I have recommended the app here many times.  I used it to see that neighbor next door on same channel as he shows a strong signal where my plugs are located) He must be on auto channel, because when he set up he was on CH 11 and now 6.  I changed to CH 1, but it was weaker from my range extender, so I likely need to reset the range extender as well.  Not a big priority right now as all is working fine again.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:43 pm »
The TP-Link Light Switch and the Wemo Light Switch are both physical switches as well. So even if WiFi goes down, you can still manually press the switch to turn on/off the lights.

mike27oct

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:39 pm »
@tuicemen

I found a slot of time later today to work on this issue.  Thank goodness for Wi-Fi Analyzer and my old Kindle Fire HD tablet; it is my only Android device and can run WFA. 

I discovered that my range extenders do not track and match my router channel if I change it, so since CH 1 was weak and less desirable, I selected CH 11 which has less connections around me and they are all weak.  So, after setting router to CH 11, I had to reset my 2.4G range extender to CH 11.  M signals are as good as on CH 6 and away from my neighbor's router on CH 6 now.  Time will tell if this issue caused my TP-Link plugs to disconnect from wi-fi.  I unplugged them and back in so they would connect on the CH 11 as well.

I even doubled checked that my three 5G extenders were all on the router's channel, and they are.  At the moment the home network is all right and uptight and working well again.

Wi-Fi Analyzer is essential to tune up a home network like I did.  In fact, if I didn't have the Fire tablet I would need to buy a used Android phone or tablet just so I could install Wi-Fi Analyzer on it, because iOS devices still do not have a comparable app like Wi-Fi Analyzer!  Thanks so much Apple for your stuck up attitude of not allowing this app on your devices.

mike27oct

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:16 pm »
The TP-Link Light Switch and the Wemo Light Switch are both physical switches as well. So even if WiFi goes down, you can still manually press the switch to turn on/off the lights.

Thanks, good to know!

malliekm

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 11:40:22 pm »
 Thanks so much Apple for your stuck up attitude of not allowing this app on your devices.

Apple is against my religion!  ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 01:49:01 am »
Yep, I have a love/hate relationship with Apple.  I fell in love with the iPad; especially the quality of the screen display, the design layout and the apps compared to the Android same apps on my Android Kindle Fire HD tablets.  If someone told me I had to give up either the Kindle or iPad, I would keep the iPad. But then, I would have to have an Android "something" so I still had access to Wi-Fi Analyzer app!

For the same quality reasons I like the iPad, I decided upon the iPhone when I graduated to a smartphone.  Same exact apps and the learning curve was not an issue.

malliekm

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 02:58:00 am »
When I decided I needed a tablet in my life (wasn't going to get one till I "needed" it) I did extensive research (that did NOT include Apple) and decided on the then brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition.  I knew I wouldn't be happy with Apple's "it's my way or the highway" mentality.  The screen quality and pen is what really did it for me.  I don't know if there is anything out there better in the Android world today.  If there is, I don't need it.  I'm still perfectly happy with it.  Six months later I decided on a Galaxy S5 smartphone.  Now have the awesome Galaxy S7.  What a phone :)

mike27oct

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 03:49:33 am »
Bottom line for anyone:
Do your homework before buying any pricey gadget so you know exactly what you are getting.