Echo & Alexa Forums

►►► Alexa does searches on screen + images: Download now ◄◄◄

Jez

As promised, the download is now ready for free trial. I will try and make an installation video tomorrow but it really is simple.

Go to the site: http://www.addtopad.com
Click the 'Download' button and 'Run' it or save to disk then run.
It will create a folder on C:\AddToPad\WebExtractor
It will write two files to the folder. It doesn't write to anywhere else so removing it can be as simple as just deleting it.
It will create a shortcut after installation

Fire it up and it will ask you to login or register. This is just collecting basic info for staying in touch & controlling piracy.
A licence key will be generated and written to the same folder.
From then on you don't need to login again.

When you've fired up the application click the 'Alexa' button and sign in to your Alexa app so that the application can read it.

Click back onto the search button and start asking Alexa, Who is ... Who was ... Where is .... How big .... etc

Open up the connections.txt file in Notepad and add new searches. Will create a short video on this too.

Jez.

Alpha Bitch

Re: ►►► Alexa does searches on screen + images: Download now ◄◄◄
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:43:44 pm »
@ Jez,

Any plans for a Mac OS & iOS version?

Jez

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:04:40 pm »
Hi AB,

The platform I used to develop this is already a few years old with pretty much all current devs being for on line stuff. It's still robust though and does a really slick job of reading what 'Alexa Heard' from the Amazon app then pumping it out to 4 integrated browsers. Don't think the platform could handle Mac stuff ..... might be better to just put some old PC's to some good use. e.g. An old laptop can drive two screens ... you really got to try it ... asking one question and getting multiple results. More videos coming along with ideas on how you can use it around your house.

For example, Here's another one where we really don't want to use a keyboard but want to ask questions over the dinner table. Two 42" monitors with a wooden frame hiding the bezels then dropping artificial fish (Really good ones) that swim from one screen to the other. Ask Alexa a question and her findings go across both screens before returning to the fish.

Never again will Alexa just be used for Turn light on .... turn light off.

Jez

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:24:40 pm »
Here's how easy it is to create your own multi browser lookup.

Open the connections.txt file that's in the install folder of the app, below,
(NOTE: If you're not in the UK you may need to re-direct the first two lines to your own country Alexa app)

Create any number of phrases for the app to look out for. If it reads a match it will fire off up to four browsers that follow the phrases. For example, look at  the phrases,
Who is
What is
When is
These are followed by four browsers so it's redirecting all four of the built in browsers based upon that response alone. The text '[SEARCH]' is replaced with whatever Alexa heard but the second browser has added text ' house and home' so if you asked 'Who is Tom Jones' the second search would go to the browser as 'Tom Jones House and Home' where the others would relate directly to 'Tom Jones'.

It still works if you don't add anything, but sometimes you'll find it useful to return 'YouTube' rather than 'Google' depending on what you're asking Alexa.

Gota try it.
Jez.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:29:01 pm by Jez »

Jez

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:58 am »
Have now published a short video showing the automatic install of the application.
https://youtu.be/J28gOLvJOxk
or
http://www.addtopad.com

It also shows basic configuration to change searches or search engines.
Please leave feedback and questions.

Jez.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:38:43 pm »
How about posting a US version of the program, since this is where most of the Alexa gadget owners live and therefore are potential testers?

Jez

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:06:59 pm »
Hi Mike,
As far as I'm aware, you only need to change the path to the Alexa app in the connections.txt file to point to e.g. .com instead of .co.uk everything else should work fine. Let me know it not.

The 'How to install' video on the website shows you how.

http://www.addtopad.com

Jez.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:44 pm »
Got it, Jez.

Dasym

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:55:36 am »
Am I correct in thinking that in order to use this we need to provide the email and password for our Amazon accounts?

Jez

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 03:53:08 am »
Hi Dasym,
The application reads from two pages of your Amazon App on your PC and only 'ON YOUR PC' it does not send anything back to the Addtopad server relating to your account. It is simply opening the Amazon app in the built in browser, it's not reading any sign on passwords or your Amazon email, it simply can't do that.

You don't have to sign into your Amazon app through the application, if you prefer ... for whatever reason ... you can sign into your app using the standard browser and leave it signed in. The application will then just happily continue to work when you fire it up.

The applications browsers are really Windows browsers with wrappers provided by Microsoft.

Jez.

Diacetylmorphine

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:27:58 am »
Hey there... would y'all be the folks to talk to about addtopad?

Thanks!

asianrocker

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:10:05 pm »
I installed and used this program and for awhile, thought it was awesome. I have win 10 and it has Cortana but I can't use it with my junk laptop so I tried this program. While it's cool. I got tired of it and honestly there is nothing this program can't do that Cortana can't. Actually Cortana can do loads more.

Now that I have a new laptop and a working mic which my old laptop does not have, Cortana is the way to go if you want voice command on your PC/laptop.