Echo & Alexa Forums

Problem (of my own making) with new Voice Calling setup

daneyuleb

I have a problem maybe someone has a suggestion for.

My wife has our Echos in her Amazon account's name.  I went to set up the new Voice features on my phone, but stupidly was logged in to her account (which was my normal way of doing things before--to control our devices).  When prompted--I ended up associated MY phone number to HER account. Which won't work for ME to make calls to the Echos on the same account.

When I realized my mistake and logged in to MY Amazon account and tried to associate the same phone number to that account it refused with: The phone number you've entered already exists with another account.

Logging back into her account--I can't find anywhere to remove that previously associated phone number.

I removed/reapplied the Alexa app update on my phone in the slim hope it was stored locally, with no change. Had a chat with Amazon but the nice first and second level reps had no clue, and left me to call a toll free number. Can't do that until much later today, and don't look forward to being shifted around and put on hold again as they try to figure out how this brand new feature works. Figured I'd probably get better suggestions here.

So, anyone have any idea how I'd get that phone number clear from her account so I can use it with mine?

-Daniel

mike27oct

Re: Problem (of my own making) with new Voice Calling setup
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »
Perhaps wife can take care of the problem on her end.

ganeyvim

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 05:37:07 pm »
I have a problem maybe someone has a suggestion for.

I removed/reapplied the Alexa app update on my phone in the slim hope it was stored locally, with no change. Had a chat with Amazon but the nice first and second level reps had no clue, and left me to call a toll free number. Can't do that until much later today, and don't look forward to being shifted around and put on hold again as they try to figure out how this brand new feature works. Figured I'd probably get better suggestions here.

-Daniel

Had a somewhat similar problem, and tried to erase the entered phone number, to no avail. Called the Amazon tech support, and was told to expect a return call, which ended up as a return email that did not even begin to address the issue. There is currently no way to erase any of the numbers/profiles. You can change the name though, so I added 2 new profiles with different names, and thus can test messaging between them. Hopefully Amazon will step up and fix these problems, as well as the ability to just remove/deregister this whole call/messaging setup.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:39:45 pm by ganeyvim »

daneyuleb

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 08:15:17 am »
Couldn't remove it from my wife's account.  And in her security settings, under Mobile Phone, it just showed her normal number.  I talked to a surprisingly knowledgeable rep last night who said the setup feature was giving others a message that their number was already used (she had a bulletin to that effect). And that I should wait a while.

Sadly, it was still doing it this morning.  In the meantime, though, I discovered that even logging into my account, going to Security settings, and trying to add the mobile number--that number couldn't be added there, either. Which sounded like a much more simple thing for them to check and fix.

So, back on the phone to Amazon I went, only I just told them about THAT problem with the ADD MOBILE feature, and he quickly "released" the number that he said "must have been used by someone else". (Though I knew it was probably somehow stuck in some Amazon setting cache somewhere after I had added it to my wife's account, even though I re-added her correct number back in later. But I didn't go into all that.).

That immediately fixed my Alexa App problem - it didn't even prompt me for the number - and now I can make calls(!)  Looks like that Mobile number association in your account is what's used--and if you've set it, you won't even be prompted when adding the Voice Feature to the App.  If you -can't- set it, you have a problem but one Amazon can probably quickly fix without getting Alexa mixed up in it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:23:28 am by daneyuleb »

bsm007

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:16:47 pm »
I am having the same problem, but I don't have multiple accounts. I am seeing the same error message, "the phone number you've entered already exists with another account". Frustrating. I have not be able to set up the calling feature.

kay

trouble changing phone number in the echo app
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:11:32 pm »
Hi,
When I first set up my Dot I accidentally registered it with the wrong number and Amazon was no help and I decided to search here. I found another post where others apparently had the same issue.

Well I am posting this now bc I figured out how to fix it.

When I logged onto my Amazon act. on my MAC and opened my profile I noticed my phone number had been changed to the wrong one I used to register my ALexa/Dot (however the app on my iPad never switched numbers). All I had to do was edit the phone number on the Amazon website under my profile and it automatically switched the number on the Alexa app. to the correct number.

Hope this helps!

Steve01

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:57 am »
Hi I too have a problem and can no longer use my Alexa app to verify my phone number on my own amazon log in details because I did the same thing used my sons account details on my app I’ve telephoned amazon and they tried several things but it seems they cannot fix this please can someone help

slvrfijisrfr

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 03:37:26 pm »
I recently encountered this problem as well and followed the advice above and called Amazon customer service and requested them to release the number that was mistakenly associated with the wrong account. it worked and resolved my wife's issues in setting up the echo dot with her phone. In all though, it took 3 days, a handful of hour-long calls, requests to speak with a supervisor who eventually was able to submit a 'ticket' to Amazon IT, who then enabled the release of the number. For what its worth, my wife, who is a lawyer, also threatened legal action in her last email, which garnered a call back within about 10 minutes and a $50 credit to her account.

Good luck everyone!

gsuemnic

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:33 pm »
Wow, I had a similar issue. A request a call from support, I explained I needed the cell number associated with my echo changed and presto

sjboswell

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »
I had the same problem. Based on prior posts, I wasn't looking forward to the wait times for getting it fixed. But I called customer service through the Alexa app. I got a very knowledgeable customer service rep. My phone call took 5 minutes and 34 seconds, and it was resolved. All I had to do was read off the validation codes he sent, restart my app voila! I hope you have as much success as I did!