Echo & Alexa Forums

Speaker connection issue

RedWhenHot

Speaker connection issue
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »
Hi all,
I have three dots and they have been working fine for the week I've had them.
Today I tried to connect some blue tooth speakers (one at a time of course) but each time I try, all the dots lose their wifi connection.
They work well for a few seconds then I get the 'red light of doom' and get told that she no longer understands me.
I have tried everything I can think of from my internet supplier, router reset, dot reset (all of them), different speakers (Amazon recommended from their list), etc...
I'm currently trying the Sony SRS-XB3 without success. Every time the same thing happens!
I even tried swapping the connection from 5-2.4 GHz
Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be really appreciated.
Much thanks,
Mike

mike27oct

Re: Speaker connection issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:58:59 pm »

P have 4 Dots and they all work perfectly with BT.
First of all, turn off (unplug) the Dots you are not trying to connect (do you mean pair?) to BT?  Once paired to a particular speaker, from then on all you need to do is turn on the speaker when close to the Dot and it will auto reconnect.  When finished listening to a BT speaker, always turn off its power and Dot will disconnect its BT and resume playing through its own speaker.  Tell it stop to end the music.

As for losing wireless signal, this is a wireless signal strength issue when a device is too far from the router.  Always connect Alexa devices to 2.4G, because it has the longer range signal.  5G's range is much shorter, although it is best suited for video streaming, because it is a faster speed signal, but one has to be closer to router for success with 5G.

StevenR

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:10:15 am »
I've had the same problem. Are you with Virgin Media by any chance? I'm with them and it's been reported by someone else in the forum who said that asking Virgin Media to replace their Super Hub 2 with a Hub 3 fixed it. However, I'm reluctant to try this yet due to performance issues reported with the Hub 3.

RedWhenHot

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:20:51 pm »
Yes! I am with Virgin media and I do have the superhub 2 so it could be the issue...?
I have a virgin engineer coming in about 2 weeks (they're in no hurry it seems) so if I can't get anything sorted before then, I'll suggest moving up to the superhub 3.
I'll let you know if it works.
Many thanks :)

RedWhenHot

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 06:09:44 am »
*update*
I had the Virgin engineer around this morning and talked it through. He replaced the 'Super Hub 2' with the 'Super Hub 3' and my Echo Dots are all now working perfectly with my BT speaker.
Worth remembering that the Super Hub 2 has issues with BT speakers connecting to Echo.
Thanks for your advice StevenR  :)