Echo & Alexa Forums

Multi room sound solution with Airplay

Danieluh

Multi room sound solution with Airplay
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:09 am »
Hi,
I know Echo doesn't support Airplay or multiroom, but I'm searching for a solution.

To describe what I want:
Use 3,5mm minijack to connect a wall mounted Echo Dot to a device that supports Airplay. When I command the Echo to play music, the Airplay-device between Echo and the speakers would send the sound to the speakers. But if I want to play something from my phone, I'll be able to manually connect my iPhone to the Airplay-device and play music.

That way Echo don't need to support Airplay. I'll have one Echo Dot and one Airplay-device in each room.

1. If I find a working solution to this, can I command Echo to play the same music in the kitchen and the living room, at the same time as the Echo at the bathroom is playing radio?
2. Does such a Airplay-device exist? Airport Express would have been perfect if it had a 3,5mm input.

Danieluh

Re: Multi room sound solution with Airplay
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:26:28 am »
I found out that Echo doesn't reconnect to a closer device automaticly to continue playing. Doesn't matter anyways, because two different Echo can't play the same music. I was hoping the missing multiroom-support only included that one unit can't controll several speakers.

Anyways, I think I found a workaround!
If i have just one Echo shared by the kitchen and the living room, I can use a wall adapter to controll where the music is played. The speakers on the kitchen has its own amplifier, and the speakers in the living room another. If I say "Alexa, turn on kitchen" it can give power to the amplifier on the kitchen, and the music would not play throung the speakers in the living room. I can also group the speakers, so I can command "Alexa, turn on main speakers" to turn on both amplifiers. Then "Alexa, play Discover weekly playlist at Spotify" and I have music in both rooms.

I think this would work. Agree?

The only problem is that I can't find any european outlets, only many different US outlets.
Does anyone know about an outlet thats supported? Or do I have to wait for someone to make the product?

iolinux333

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:39:27 am »
That's brilliant. Maybe a euro wall adapter that works with IFTTT?

Danieluh

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:19:36 am »
I found an adapter that works with Alexa!
TP-Link HS100(EU) WiFi Smart Plug

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-944.html