Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa across devices

Alexa across devices
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:21:57 pm »
I just ordered a Fire Stick... I know Alexa is already a part of that product. Will it integrate easily with my Echo? and is the remote compatible with the echo (So I can use it close to me where more people are around, to not have to speak over them when I'm not part of their conversation in the room next to the TV room?)

Any input that describes the Fire Stick integration or compatibility would be appreciated. This would also apply to my learning to make things easier for my Aunt who is A Quadriplegic... anything voice controlled for her is a plus. The more I learn, the more I can help her have some more independence around the house. And If the Fire Stick works like I hope it does, it could save them a lot of cash later on down the road.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

Re: Alexa across devices
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 01:37:42 am »
I have all the gadgets you mention, and sorry to report not a lot of across device capability. 

Want you to know my stick is connected to the TV and all TV sound goes into the stereo amp.

This I can do:  From the Fire TV remote mic I can command Alexa to turn on or off my smart plugs with lamps.  TV doesn't need to be on Fire TV input, because the FireTV sends a wireless signal to my router as any Alexa device will do.  Of course, I hear no audio this way as I do when I tell a Dot or Echo to do same.  I would hear Alexa say OK if my TV was turned on Fire TV.

That's about all the cross pollination I can get.  Cannot control an Echo, a Dot or a Tap via FireTV remote.  If anyone else knows of any other tricks, pass them on.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:52:15 am »
Well... After a few days with the Fire Stick, I'm not as impressed as a lot of folks I have heard from... Yeah... I can get movies and for what it's worth, live TV (Albeit with more than a 20 second delay at full stream speeds)... I haven't been able to give any commands at all yet, that make it work by voice. NOTHING.

Over thenext few days/weeks maybe... I'll try and marry up the echo with the Fire Stick some and give it an activity name through YONOMI or something... The complexities of set up can be frustrating at times... :(
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:19 pm »
For a command that works, say "Netflix", and if you have that app activated, the stick will open that app.  Try saying "prime video" or "prime music" and they will likely open as well (although I have not tried them yet).  Ask Fire TV for time, weather, and other sorts of questions you would ask an Echo and it will reply accordingly.  I find it limited for actually controlling the stick's functions.

The best part of a Fire stick for MY USE is that I have an extensive library of videos and music on my NAS server.  By installing the free Kodi (media player) app on the fire stick I can access this media on my network and watch or listen to it on the TV using Fire stick.  So, I have not much use for accessing Amazon-supplied music or video. 

I can also take a Kodi-enabled Fire Stick along on a vacation trip (as well as my wireless hard drive that's loaded with media files) and do what I can do at home to enjoy my videos and music.). Or watch Netflix and Prime video content.  I can get a lot of utility from a $40 Fire stick in these ways.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 02:54:08 pm »
Well, Mike... I think you're right about the cross usefulness of the Echo with the Firestck... They really ought to be more compatible between them... But like you, I don't use many of the apps that come already installed, and I have Installed KODI as well.... nothing works with voice command with ANY remote or echo product, outside the original apps, or apps that are available through the factory channels... Once you're in KODI, voice does nothing at all. I had kind of hoped for more voice control. The One big thing that lost me was the fact you have to press and hold the Microphone button to give voice commands... No wake word type stuff. Purely manual again after playing withThe Echo for a while now.

Overall, The Firestick does a lot, with a lot of waiting time for it to find and initiate streaming of most items I want to watch... Once it's hooked up and streaming everything is OK. I installed the SpinzTV build on it and it's pretty cool as far as browsing and stuff... even some cool live TV as well... with a 20 second delay (roughly). I just watched as everyone talked up the firestick so big, until I finally got one... Google Chromecast was almost as good, and all it did was stream whatever I conjured up on the computer/tablet/phone...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro