Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Seek very simple cheat sheet for Echo

Offline xFlip

Seek very simple cheat sheet for Echo
« on: February 11, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »
Is there a cheat sheet with only the basic commands which I can pin next to our Echo?

The Echo is in the kitchen to play music or radio stations.  My mother has dementia and her carers don't know how to use Echo.  If it's too loud they can't turn it down or turn it off.  They can't change the music.  So it would be nice to let them read a notice with just the basic voice commands.

mike27oct

Re: Seek very simple cheat sheet for Echo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:13:48 pm »
OK, I presume YOU know how to operate the Echo, and you could easily write up a simple cheat sheet for your Echo, since you would know what limited info you want to pass on to a caregiver.  If this is not something you can do, then check Help at the top of Amazon home page.

Another idea: Google for "echo cheat sheet" or "Alexa cheat sheet"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:18:20 pm by mike27oct »

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:21:09 pm »
a simple google search came up with the following on the first page.  you know, sometimes it is faster to find what you need instead of waiting for someone to do the search for you.  I just searched "amazon echo commands"

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:23:43 pm »
Amen!

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 06:31:31 pm »
I agree. You know best what your mother wants or needs to have playing so you're best placed to write out the instructions for those things, along with basics like 'volume up' 'volume down' 'stop'. Maybe add a couple of fun things such as 'tell me a joke' 'knock knock' 'sing me a song' so they get used to it being friendly, and useful stuff like the time, the weather, an alarm or a timer.

Offline xFlip

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:43 am »
a simple google search came up with the following on the first page.  you know, sometimes it is faster to find what you need instead of waiting for someone to do the search for you.  I just searched "amazon echo commands"

Thanks.  However I don't want a complete list of commands, I want a list of the minimum to use the device.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:21:14 am by xFlip »

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:57:45 pm »
As mentioned before, if you know how minimally you want to operate an Echo you should be able to whip up a list in a few moments.  Everyone's definition of minimum will be different.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:44:14 pm »

Thanks.  However I don't want a complete list of commands, I want a list of the minimum to use the device.

since we doin't know what minimum commands you will need, then you can do your own search, copy and paste or hand write your own list.  after all nobody here has esp.   

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
Why is it that the people who used to ask if they can copy my homework are coming into this forum (and other forums?)  Jeeze.  :D

Offline jwlv

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 06:03:52 pm »
I'd say the minimum set of commands for Alexa are all listed in the Alexa app on your phone.
Just start the app, press the menu icon, then press Things to Try.

There, it will list several commands such as: What's in the news, Play some music to help me sleep, Stop the music, Turn it up, Next song, What Mexican restaurants are near by, Find the hours of a nearby bank, What's the weather, Will it rain tomorrow, Did Falcons win, What movies are playing, Play 97.3 FM on Tunein, etc.

These commands, and many more, are all listed in the Alexa app. You might want to check it out and write down some of the ones that are more useful to you.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 08:24:28 pm »
Is there a cheat sheet with only the basic commands which I can pin next to our Echo?
YUP.

So it would be nice to let them read a notice with just the basic voice commands.
A 3x3 card come w/every Echo device w/all the simple commands you need.