Echo & Alexa Forums

Looking for a dimmer switch that works with LEDs and Alexa

Smonczka

Looking for a dimmer switch that works with LEDs and Alexa
« on: February 10, 2017, 08:01:14 pm »
Looking for a dimmer switch that works with LEDs and Alexa.  Could someone out there recommend something. I know I'm going to end up getting a hub so I'm looking for a solution that has the best potential. I mean working with the most amount of devices along with my Alexa    Pardon me if I'm a little cryptic but I'm new to house automation. Currently I have several TP Link plugs and lights and switches but I need something that works with my existing  ceiling LEDs that is dimmable.

tyler2

Re: Looking for a dimmer switch that works with LEDs and Alexa
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:53:04 pm »
I picked up the GE In Wall Smart Dimmer model 12724. No problems at all. You'll have to do some electrical installing into the existing wall switch, (turn off breaker, remove old switch, identify hot, neutral, ground, etc..) but once properly installed, its a breeze. I have a smartthings hub (rev2)  Alexa and the hub are best friends! My kitchen track lights are all led bulbs, so (alexa turn on, turn off, dim kitchen lights to 25%) is easy peasy!!

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »
First be sure your existing LED bulbs are dimmable, if not you could wreck your bulbs and or the new switch.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:39:57 pm »
I love Lutron products.  We have a house full of their Maestro dimmers.  Since I refuse to use LEDs, we still have incandescents but the switches are all CFL and LED compatible.  If I were going to start incorporating dimmable LEDs, my first call would be to Lutron to ask them what I need.  I know they offer smarthome lighting products.  You'll get better advice from them than Lowes and Home Depot employees!