Echo & Alexa Forums

Two locations, two Echo's, two sets of smart home devices?

Offline kevb

Re: Two locations, two Echo's, two sets of smart home devices?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:11 pm »
I think that when I first discovered the wemo switch (hardwired), I had to connect it to the Echo via the Wemo app, which gave the "cloud" login of the Wemo to Amazon. So I think that as long as Alexa can find the switch through the cloud during discovery, all is good.

jswim788

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 12:02:05 am »
Okay, I have some data to report and I can say that it appears to work well.  I now have 2 ha-bridge's running, 1 at each location.  I did a 'discover' from the Alexa web page while sitting in location 1 and sure enough it found the new devices on the ha-bridge at location 2.  The original devices from ha-bridge 1 were still there.  I then asked the Echo at location 1 to turn on and off devices both in location 1 and location 2 and they worked (I have a remote camera so I can see what is happening in location 2 - which is good because it is 150 miles away).  I will have to wait until I'm at location 2 again to try the Dot there, but I think it will work fine.

This means that Amazon must be querying all devices in the account, and it must keep track of which device found the ha-bridge so it can talk to it specifically when asked to access a device.  I was worried about this because there is a mention of round-robin problems in the ha-bridge github page, but either that has been resolved, or doesn't apply in this case where there are different networks involved.

Anyway, all seems to be good.  I hope this helps someone else who may try it in the future.

mike27oct

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:31 am »
OK, great, so at this point, you are now the official multi- location guru and will be fielding all the questions.  ;)

Offline kevb

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 07:19:51 am »
Thanks Jswim788!