Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Two locations, two Echo's, two sets of smart home devices?

Offline kevb

Re: Two locations, two Echo's, two sets of smart home devices?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 04:43:11 pm »
I think that when I first discovered the wemo switch (hardwired), I had to connect it to the Echo via the Wemo app, which gave the "cloud" login of the Wemo to Amazon. So I think that as long as Alexa can find the switch through the cloud during discovery, all is good.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 12:02:05 am »
Okay, I have some data to report and I can say that it appears to work well.  I now have 2 ha-bridge's running, 1 at each location.  I did a 'discover' from the Alexa web page while sitting in location 1 and sure enough it found the new devices on the ha-bridge at location 2.  The original devices from ha-bridge 1 were still there.  I then asked the Echo at location 1 to turn on and off devices both in location 1 and location 2 and they worked (I have a remote camera so I can see what is happening in location 2 - which is good because it is 150 miles away).  I will have to wait until I'm at location 2 again to try the Dot there, but I think it will work fine.

This means that Amazon must be querying all devices in the account, and it must keep track of which device found the ha-bridge so it can talk to it specifically when asked to access a device.  I was worried about this because there is a mention of round-robin problems in the ha-bridge github page, but either that has been resolved, or doesn't apply in this case where there are different networks involved.

Anyway, all seems to be good.  I hope this helps someone else who may try it in the future.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:31 am »
OK, great, so at this point, you are now the official multi- location guru and will be fielding all the questions.  ;)

Offline kevb

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 07:19:51 am »
Thanks Jswim788!