Echo & Alexa Forums

Cheapest Method of TV control (on/off, volume)

brewpat

Cheapest Method of TV control (on/off, volume)
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:24:16 pm »
trying to figure out the cheapest way of utilizing an echo dot to turn on/off my tv as well as control the volume.

i know there's some workarounds using smart phones, but i don't own one that has an ir blaster. so any solution would require me to purchase another device i think. just wondering if there's any inexpensive device that can do this.

really, all i want to do is turn the tv on/off and control the volume.

mike27oct

Re: Cheapest Method of TV control (on/off, volume)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 08:50:03 pm »
Really, what's wrong with using the TV remote?  If you MUST do it with Alexa,get an on/off smart plug and control TV that way.  Cost is minimum $30.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:34:46 am »
mike27oct the smart plug only will give on/off brewpat is looking for volume control as well.

brewpat the broadlink pro remote may be the cheapest however not the easiest to setup.
it will give you the control you want and much more. You don't even need a smartphone to set it up but it is easier that way as you do need the app.

brewpat

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:31:30 am »
thanks tuicemen!

I did consider this. isn't a cell phone also always needed w this solution in order to run the bridge program though? or once set up is the broadlink a standalone unit?

coyote

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:07:13 pm »
This will not work in almost every instance; you'd have to have an old tv with a "hard switch". I don't know of any modern TV that turns on the moment you plug it into the wall.
Really, what's wrong with using the TV remote?  If you MUST do it with Alexa,get an on/off smart plug and control TV that way.  Cost is minimum $30.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »
Yes. I know the smart plug only controls on/off and not volume. Anything else to control (e.g. volume) is not cheapest!  The most important function (on/off) can be done rather cheap.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:20:45 pm »
the cheapest would be the logitech harmony hub if you want to control volume.  I use a wemo insight switch to turn on/off.  once you set volume, it should not change much so unless you have other uses for the harmony hub, imo, it would be a waste of money. 

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »
Agree, on/off is the main function, and volume should be where one left it, so a basic on/off switch controlled by Alexa would be sufficient.  A hubless smart plug switch from TP Link for $30-40 (depending upon model) gets the job done.  It's the same as turning a lamp on or off.

Bobbetto

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:50:49 pm »
Mike - I think the point is that the TP-Link will only control the power on/off to standby, and bot switch the TV itself on/off...  So, the voice control will simply turn on the red-light and not fire-up the TV...

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:11:47 pm »
Good point.

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:22:05 pm »
Mike - I think the point is that the TP-Link will only control the power on/off to standby, and bot switch the TV itself on/off...  So, the voice control will simply turn on the red-light and not fire-up the TV...

Exactly.  This is what my sister found out when she tried to plug her tv into a tp-link smart outlet.  She called to tell she couldn't get it to work with her tvs.  I Googled it and immediately found the answer that you gave.  It will only supply standby power to the tv.  Not actually turn the picture on/off.  Bummer.  I had planned on buying one for the small kitchen tv.

coyote

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »
Yep. In order to have Alexa voice control over a tv, you need the controls to be accessible over Ethernet. Whether that means a 'smart' tv with direct commands or a Logitech (or other) hub, you have to have access to the IR commands in the network.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 02:49:37 pm »
Yea, blame our newer modern TVs with a standby mode with their two-part turn on.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 08:40:31 am »
The cheapest way I can come up with is an echo dot and a harmony hub set-up... Works like a charm, and can control volume, on/off, input, channel... even with Cable, the harmony will do the job by voice. I set this all up for my aunt who is a quadriplegic... she now has control she thought she would never have.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Wyliedog

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 08:08:16 am »
My TP link outlet will power down my Samsung tv and power it on as well.  Not into standby mode but actually turn it on to a viewable channel.  I was surprised as I too figured it would only power it into standby mode.