Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Garmin Speak with Alexa integration

k9kids

Offline jwlv

Re: Garmin Speak with Alexa integration
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »
That is incredibly stupid of Garmin. They went through all the trouble of integrating Alexa with their mapping software, but decided to get rid of the screen. OMG! It is beyond stupidity.

I wonder how a driver can enter a location that is difficult to spell and pronounce? One place i can think of right now is Port Hueneme, CA. It is pronounced nothing like the way it's spelled. The actual pronunciation is Port Why-NEE-Mee. Try to ask Alexa where Port Hueneme is and you won't get an answer.

k9kids

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:19 pm »
Would be better for me if it had Wi-Fi.

Then I could use the car's Hotspot and use the Bluetooth for something else. Cheaper too.

Maybe they'll see the light.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:45 pm »
According to Google Home, Port "Why NEE Mee", CA is 1359 miles from me and is in Ventura County but GH pronounced it "Who NAY Mee".  When I saw this device earlier today I thought it was a mini Dot for the car.  Didn't realize till I saw another article that it was from Garmin.

ericnrosesmom

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:04:29 pm »

I wonder how a driver can enter a location that is difficult to spell and pronounce? One place i can think of right now is Port Hueneme, CA. It is pronounced nothing like the way it's spelled. The actual pronunciation is Port Why-NEE-Mee. Try to ask Alexa where Port Hueneme is and you won't get an answer.
[/quote]

I would imagine you could type it into the garmin speak app on your phone.

k9kids

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:40:56 pm »

I would imagine you could type it into the garmin speak app on your phone.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Here is a link where you can get the user manual.

https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces

Automotive > Car > Garmin Speak w/Alexa

k9kids

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:43:39 pm »
Odd point about answering a call.

You must push a button on the unit to answer.

Seems rather archaic to do that instead of having Alexa answer the call via voice.