Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Dot's Signal Strength

mike27oct

Re: Dot's Signal Strength
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:04 am »
Monica,
Here is the link URL where I found the documentation for your router.  You may want to download some of it to keep on your hard drive.  I download the documentation for all my gadgets and store it on a drive.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Also, I saw the router had been out a few years, so there undoubtedly is new firmware for it.  You should update the router firmware every time a new version is released.  You can download it at the link as well.  Check your manual for how to do this.  Some routers notify the user if there is new F/W and maybe yours has already.  New F/W helps improve the operation and makes router work better.

malliekm

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 06:00:18 pm »
OK Mike, I'm ready to get back at this router thing :)  About having to push and HOLD  the wifi button...someone must have forgotten she read that during the initial start up  :-[

WPS...I know my password, in fact I changed the passwords from the default passwords.  Pretty sure the WPS option is on by default.  I'll just leave it.

Desktop computer...internet connection reverted to the LAN when wifi went dead.

I think I've already mentioned that I can't move my router.  It's connected to the modem that's connected to the desktop computer in the office.  I understand it may not be the best scenario since the office is in the opposite end of the house from the two furthest Dots.  Router is right next to the door into the office.  It's on a 3ft high file cabinet.  The LoS thru the house to where the Dots are is fairly open but you can't actually SEE the furthest two Dots.

Documentation...I have it in paper and pdf format :)  Like you I download the pdf for everything.  Lot easier to browse by just searching for a keyword.  I just didn't recall having to press and HOLD the wifi button during setup.

Extenders..."I'd rather not use them, but the loss they can impart to system  is overcome by the gains they can provide elsewhere..."  
What types of problems do wifi extenders cause?

I've changed security settings to WPA-TSK[TKIP]+WPA2-PSK[AES].  Don't even want to know what all that means but if it makes you happy... ;)

I read about a firmware update before I got the router.  Upgrading the firmware was the first thing I did.  There was another firmware update last week. 

I'm going to have to contact ts concerning changing the band to N only, bandwidth to 20MHz only and power level.  I'm sure it's all done on the routerlogin site.  I see where to UNcheck 20/40 but I don't know if that puts the bandwidth to 20MHz only.  There is a "Transmit Power Control" and it's set to 100%

Hope I earned a pretty good grade on my "homework" UNLESS  you deduct for turning it in late  :P

renegade, I just moved my bedroom Dot across the room closer to the doorway and closer to a LoS.  First location got marginally stronger signal but it can't stay balancing on my headboard lol.  About 4 feet away and a little closer to the door, on top of the armoire, the signal was much worse, BUT, it was connected via an extension cord.  That's my only option right there.  So back to the other side of the room she goes.

My signal strength for those two Dots are consistently in the "yellow".  I really think I need a wifi extender OR tell Amazon this router just isn't cutting it and upgrade to a stronger one.

Monica (who's off to get ready for the SuperBowl and chow down on DH's smoked/BBQ'ed chicken and country style pork ribs  ;D )

mike27oct

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
Halftime break -- could care less about the clever (?) commercials, or Lady Gaga show (although she can sing well with Tony Bennett) so I am online for a moment.

OK, the range extender is better for you -- what do you have; a ranch style "shotgun" house)?  If you want a good one and at a closeout price, I know of a "secret seller" where you can get an excellent dual band extender for a great price ($20).  If so, let me know, and I will send you a PM.

FYI, the WPS lite is on, but to activate WPS you need to hold in the button on router and a device to connect to make anything happen.  Ignore WPS lite and button.

I will look in your router manual for how to make some of the router setting happen.

Back to game!  Go Falcons!

malliekm

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 01:26:10 am »
Poor Falcons  :'(  When it was 21-0 I told DH it's over.  He kept saying "don't count Brady out yet.  If Atlanta can score 28 points in the first half, New England can do the same in the second half and if anyone can do it, Brady can".
"Clever" commercials?  Whatever happened to "brand recognition"?  It shouldn't be that hard to recognize the product...if you could recognize it at all.

Mike, now that you've convinced me (or did I convince YOU?) that I need a wifi extender for the Dots, you've got me worried about ramifications to my computer system.  What "loss"?  Which "system"? 

We have a ranch style but I've never heard of it referred to as "shotgun".  We built our home when we were babies (21 and 22) and HAVING a baby :)  It was a starter home but over the years we kept remodeling and enlarging (almost doubled in size).  It's absolutely PERFECT and PAID for (3x).  We've been here 35.5 years.  The Dots are all in the original "shotgun" part of the house.

Look for a PM from me :)

mike27oct

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 02:35:31 am »
Well, DH was right, they pulled out of the gutter and won!  I think everyone was surprised how the game went; from ho-hum 1stQtr to great OT finish.  Whatever, it was a great Super Bowl this year.  (I presume DH is your "Designated Hitter"?)

I think getting a range extender at a good price was a no brainer decision for us both -- it might help, and it won't hurt at that price. Let me know.

Forget about what I said about loss due to a range extender; it's just me being a bit overly techy.  A single RE won't cause you any problems.  I have 4 range extenders for both bands, and the more I have running, the more I have had some issues with wi-fi to solve (which I solved).

I first heard the expression "shotgun house" when visiting relatives in New Orleans around 10 years ago who had bought an old house like this.  A shotgun house is where you can stand at either the front door or back door and can see the other door.  One could shoot a shotgun down the long hallway and blow someone away in hallway and at the other door.  Sounds very useful for some folks, I guess.  ;)  New Orleans has its own lingo.

PS, I like paid for houses!  When retired, it is best to have one; which we have as well.

restamp

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »
Does anyone else think that it would be nice addition if Alexa could provide some basic networking data upon request?  E.g.:

Alexa, what's your IP address?   ... MAC address?  ... DSN?   ... signal strength?

malliekm

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 03:24:23 pm »
Mike, I did let you know.  Did you get my PM? 
Well, I guess I don't live in a shotgun house then but I've been in some magnificent homes where you could see thru to the backdoor from the front but it wasn't thru a long hallway.  DH (dear husband) is wanting to buy a new shotgun for home protection, but, I guess that's for a different forum  ;D

restamp, YES!  That would be and excellent idea!  One of the ways Alexa continues to get "smarter" is from suggestions like yours.  Please use their Feedback program to make that suggestion :)